• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cant get full amount into 803a radiator

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What am I doing wrong? Says capacity on the 803a for the cooling system should be 8.2 quarts. Seems I can only get about 5 in. Is there a special trick to burping these systems? I figure I have air locked up somewhere in it. Temp gauge is reading about 200 after 20 minutes of running... so it seems to be moving the heat.

I am at a loss though. I drained it 4 times to flush all, and it now has just about 5 gal of Rotella ELC and any more I add is just coming back out the fill neck.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, the 2 locations.
I found that after having most of the coolant in, It was helpful to use the dead crank some. Hit the dead crank for a moment, fill some more, hit the dead crank some more, and fill. It seems that some does not want to go back behind the thermostat. This way the pump moves some around as your able to get more in.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, the 2 locations.
I found that after having most of the coolant in, It was helpful to use the dead crank some. Hit the dead crank for a moment, fill some more, hit the dead crank some more, and fill. It seems that some does not want to go back behind the thermostat. This way the pump moves some around as your able to get more in.
I actually ran the engine for 15 minutes on the low coolant (to see if it was transferring heat), and tried to add some more. No luck. I figured that span wouldn't be make or break, and I would see if any trapped air could be burped.

I just don't know where it could be hanging out. Both petcocks have to be closed for the system to not drain out, so unless there is a topside bleeder somewhere... I am out of ideas.

JRM

I also only got a tad over a gallon back in, but I notice at every shutdown it pulls from the overfill bottle- so I just fill that bottle after every run and I only have a tad left in the 2nd gallon to go

Murph1219

Same issue with an 802. Tip it over. That helped. Jack up the side to put a nice angle on it and you can get some more in the radiator fill neck. Still not full stated capacity but it's worked fine for hours.