• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TX Can't get title/registration in Texas - suggestions?

lonestar1

We had our M1078 insured in Texas with Progressive. We had the DMV register it as well from the Insurance paperwork. It is registered as a large truck. No special plates or tags. We included the correct size, weight and everything. They even googled it at the DMV and saw what it looked like. We did have to get a weight ticket at the truck stop and provide that with the initial registration.

338ken

If you have the FMV paper filled out and the pictures it requires. Nothing else needs to be done legally with a clerk who knows what they are doing. Kindly suggesting they call Austin is your best bet the next time this happens. I have to use that suggestion every time we get a new clerk at our office.
What does FMV do for you ? I am having trouble getting insurance for my M35A3 because I want to use it not just drive empty to parades. Private use not for hire

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does FMV do for you ? I am having trouble getting insurance for my M35A3 because I want to use it not just drive empty to parades. Private use not for hire
The FMV paperwork is for registering in the Former Military Vehicle sub-class under Antique vehicles in Texas. It will do nothing for you if you wish to regularly use your vehicle.

For insurance we use State Farm for our not for hire regular use M1078, many folks also use progressive—

338ken

The FMV paperwork is for registering in the Former Military Vehicle sub-class under Antique vehicles in Texas. It will do nothing for you if you wish to regularly use your vehicle.

For insurance we use State Farm for our not for hire regular use M1078, many folks also use progressive—
If you are in Texas can you please post your agent contact info. These women in Georgetown do not have a clue and are no help.

txturbo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the DMV today with a North Carolina title in hand and all required paperwork -- or so I thought. I want to register it as a Former Military Vehicle given the difference in cost. 5 years is $50 and no inspections. Regular registration is about $750 in fees over 5 years. As we were going through the process they lady at the counter told me that since the title doesn't specifically say, "former military vehicle" that it has to be registered as a regular vehicle. Also no weight on the title. So it seems I'll have to weigh it, get an actual inspection, and pay them their fees... I have asked the state of NC for a certified copy of all the military-related documents that were provided when it was titled in 2016 so maybe that will change things but she said it "has to be on the title". Anyone experience something similar?
Don’t deal directly with the DMV. Hire an auto title service. Every time you go back to the DMV you will get a different person and a new set of rules. Title services deal with these people everyday and know what has to be done and they have contacts to get it done. My buddy owns a title company and has performed miracles with titles. And you know it’s done right and legal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks