• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't start engine

robnote123

I just purchased Deuce 1/2 from Govt Liquidations. I put new fuel pump in and I am getting fuel to the fuel filters. I have beentrying to start it for at least 3 hours---recharging battaries. This is my 1st time w/ military vehicles. Can anyone suggest what I should do. It has only 26,000 miles on it. Thanks, Robert Reese

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have no exhaust whatsoever, there is no fuel at the injectors. There may be one or more stuck parts within the injection pump, like Greg stated, the fuel shut-off lever (on the IP) or possibly the fuel plunger within the IP hydraulic head. Do a search on this site for a cure for either condition, should give you many hits.
Have a friend squirt puffs of starter fluid into the air intake while cranking, if it starts, then you have a fuel delivery problem.

renovate7

I found on mine I had to hold the pedal down 1/3rd of the way to get it to start. Otherwise it just turned over and over but wouldn't start. I just changed the secondary fuel filters and found them covered in slime. I've only tried to start it once since then but it started MUCH easier.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By getting fuel to the filters do you mean that you bled the air. As others stated the fuel shut off must be completely off. The fuel shut off is a easy check by flowing the cable to the cover that is on the side of the IP and is held on by two flat screws. Wild shot but remove this cover. There should not be any parts that fall off so no worries there. Inside the cover you will see the stop plunger and on the IP for no better words a lever that should be in the forward position. You should be able to take your finger and with a light pull it should move freely to the rear of the IP and when released should return by spring pressure to the full forward position. This is where I might start. Let us know how you make out. James

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Don't forget to crack open the bleeder valve on top of the secondary fuel filter set up.
Do this with the switch on and the in-tank fuel pump running.
The fuel filters may have been drained or leaked out. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get all the filter cans full and fuel to the pump.
You can also crack one of the injector lines where it goes into the injector. No fuel there means no fuel through the pump.
Keep trouble shooting...and easy on the starter...let it cool between tries or you could burn it out.
Maybe there is a SS member near that can assist.

martin

Hi
I may be teaching Granny to suck eggs but be very careful if you crack any injector lines. The pressures are huge and can inject eyes/skin etc.
I have heard it said that if a Deuce doesn't start as soon as you look at the starter button; there's a problem!
Good luck.
M

Orionspath

Multifuel Filters Question

I have tried unsucessfully to link to resources to find detailed information on the fuels filtewrs and their counterparts available in the local NAP auto parts store. Everytime I try too open these links all I get is blank screen or the page "locks up" Anyone know off hand what NAPA designations I need for the Continental Multifuel 465? I'd appreciate it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
NAPA # is 3511 for the primary and 3512 for the secondary BUT BE AWARE that the gaskets are different...you can install them but they are a BEOTCH...I order my filters from Teds in Alabama...cost a little more but everything fits and he can get them to you quick.