• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carb cleaning

I just picked up two MEP 017A's and they both had gasoline left in the bowl and carb that had since turned to a gooey varnish. My plan is to soak them in laquer thinner.

My question is, is this a good idea?

Will I damage anything doing it this way?

How long should I soak them?

Anything else I should check for before or after soaking them?

jbk

thinner is going to damage the rubber o ring on the main jet. you can get new carb. from saturn surplus for 38.50. may want to check and see if you have fire at the plugs ive had 5 017s and everyone needed plugs, points, fuel pumps and carbs.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you don't need to soak them. laquer thinner and a small, stiff brush will clean them up easily and quickly. if there is any corrosion i them glass bead all the parts and make sure to blow out all the passages. you will end up with a like new carb.

tom

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use air brake alcohol. It strips the crud right off and doesn'n hurt any gaskets or rubber. Rubbing alcohol works too but not as good as the air system stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks