• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carburator rebuilding?

white135

Anyone ever rebuilt one of these carbs? Or know where the procedure is located?

I have the rebuild kit, but some guidance would be most helpful.

Thanks a lot.

ps. I drove by my truck today, It was covered in snow... :(

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
rebuilding is a misnomer for all but the really bad ones.I prefer to take them apart ,clean and look for problems.Replace bad parts.Sometimes everything can be reused.Shake the float,if it rattles it leaks and will sink.Check all passage ways with gumout can w/red stick.Make sure the ball is in the accel pup circut not lost.Visually check jets.Pilot jet has very small hole .Comp air is sometimes not enough if cloged.Use a paper fuel filter when done.Don't overtighten brass or air horn screws.New parts are occasionaly wrong.I found one carb had a .004 too small unlabeled main and a .003 to big power valve needle.That created a cold blooded demon that belied fixing for years, and may 'rebuilds',Then it was handed to me....Best advice is understand the function then go at the problem(assuming it has onel)looking at the specific area.Ex: if it doesn't idle check pilot jet,float level height,inspect bowl and fuel in there for dirt and water,see if adj screw responds and both ends of range,check for vacuum leaks at base or manifold,check fuel filter/pump prssure/compression... Find something related and fix that then start it with confidence.Often a generic 'rebuild' ends up cleaning and new parts but no important change is made so it runs the same when done.Then again sometimes a carb needs a good cleanin' and some new parts. JimK

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi JT,
Yes sir.Neighbors of sorts.Can't say much bad about the guy except his Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder seems to be contagious.( collecting large MV's).I believe we[you and I] met at Gilbert.JimK

rizzo

I took my carb apart and then put it back together and now it idles really high, even though idle screw is backed down all the way. I checked for vacum leaks outside the carb, but could not find any. any ideas?

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't know what you are working on.Might want to check the choke(fast idle feature).Make sure any throttle cable/linkage has some slack.You could try giving arm a push as sometimes the spring is not strong enough.Last, take off carb and make sure throttle plates seal around the edges.Usually they are not removed and if you did it is important to close 'em all the way(w/screw backed off) so they are alighned w/bore when tightened.Maybe bent one?. Re check vac leaks,too.JimK

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had one gasser truck in the recent years, I replaced the carb with an injection pump because I don't do carbs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Carburator rebuilding?

Sorry bro, not my intention, I just suck when it comes to carb work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sorry bro, not my intention, I just suck when it comes to carb work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dunno Jason, never tried. After doing the wrecker, I feel confident that I could do another M35 type. Actually looking forward to doing one since I have this handy dandy crane now!

JasonS

You can replace the stock carb 885-FFG with a more modern 350 cfm holley 2bb. I did this on my gas powered M35 and haven't regretted it.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've had one gasser truck in the recent years, I replaced the carb with an injection pump because I don't do carbs.
Sounds interesting.Care to elaborate?

Speaking of sucking,air is not sucked into carbs. The engine creates a low presure area which is filled by the weight of all the air resting on the surface of the earth(~12 miles) pushing its way in . Same goes for when you (wife,boyfriend,girlfriend,other...)uses the vacuum cleaner. It does not suck up dirt. Dirt is pushed into a low pressure area. JimK