• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC Safety

I haven't seen this issue mentioned anywhere, although I see lots of builds where guys are sanding CARC.

Any automotive paint is not good for you, but CARC is particularly bad news. Both when spraying and the dust from sanding.

I work at a military maintenance facility, and talking with the painters who deal with CARC....they just shake their heads and say it's bad news....especially for people dealing with it at home...keep in mind that the dust stays in your shop for years and will end up in your house.

Wet media blasting at a facility set up to handle the toxic byproduct is best for everyone involved.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I haven't seen this issue mentioned anywhere, although I see lots of builds where guys are sanding CARC.

Any automotive paint is not good for you, but CARC is particularly bad news. Both when spraying and the dust from sanding.

I work at a military maintenance facility, and talking with the painters who deal with CARC....they just shake their heads and say it's bad news....especially for people dealing with it at home...keep in mind that the dust stays in your shop for years and will end up in your house.

Wet media blasting at a facility set up to handle the toxic byproduct is best for everyone involved.
Hi VanisleDave ,

I just did a quickie search here @ Steel Soldiers and found 200 mentions of "CARC". I think there is a limit of 200 returns on a search but I can't prove that.

I don't believe that we have a person here that is responsible for the Safety of our Members. With minor reading, I was quickly able to ascertain that "CARC is bad and that sanding it could kill you" (my words, my discovery). There may be others with other ideas. I also know when you mention paint, somebody here speaks up about CARC and the word that comes next is "Bad".

If you have information that you can share, I would imagine that there will be a very willing audience.

Everybody doesn't have the ability (financial or otherwise) to wetblast, then recover the waste and properly dispose of it. If you have information I feel sure that we would love to have any information that you might share.

Tim Mullaney
SS Member

Hi VanisleDave ,

I just did a quickie search here @ Steel Soldiers and found 200 mentions of "CARC". I think there is a limit of 200 returns on a search but I can't prove that.

I don't believe that we have a person here that is responsible for the Safety of our Members. With minor reading, I was quickly able to ascertain that "CARC is bad and that sanding it could kill you" (my words, my discovery). There may be others with other ideas. I also know when you mention paint, somebody here speaks up about CARC and the word that comes next is "Bad".

If you have information that you can share, I would imagine that there will be a very willing audience.

Everybody doesn't have the ability (financial or otherwise) to wetblast, then recover the waste and properly dispose of it. If you have information I feel sure that we would love to have any information that you might share.

Tim Mullaney
SS Member

So what I got out of your response is that you are better at search than I am.

I am not looking to police anyone...just concerned that many seem to have a cavalier attitude toward a paint that highly experienced professionals with the best PPE, have a very healthy respect for as it is a known carcinogen.

Yes...wet blasting is expensive, and not everyone can afford it...hopefully those that can't, will at least take hees and not do it inside their home shop that connects directly to their house, or let their kids play in the dust.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So what I got out of your response is that you are better at search than I am.

I am not looking to police anyone...just concerned that many seem to have a cavalier attitude toward a paint that highly experienced professionals with the best PPE, have a very healthy respect for as it is a known carcinogen.

Yes...wet blasting is expensive, and not everyone can afford it...hopefully those that can't, will at least take hees and not do it inside their home shop that connects directly to their house, or let their kids play in the dust.
No, I was definitely not for policing either. I was just hoping that if you knew more than we did - and that we (you) could share information.

I have a M871 trailer that is in bad need of paint and I searched for a while to find somebody who understood CARC and is willing to wetblast it for me. I am on his waiting list... The good part about this guy is that he comes prepared to prime when he is done. I am guessing there are several dozen trucks to be painted on any given Sunday for just our group.

THANK YOU for the discussion and don't hesitate to speakup on the paint forums too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks