• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo cover and paint damage?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has an almost new gov't paint job. I have put on a vinyl cargo cover and have since put about 100 miles on it. Today I noticed that the areas where the cargo cover touch the bed of the truck, the paint is worn pretty badly (the front especially)? Anyone else have this issue and or a remedy? The cover is on pretty tight too.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My stuff does the same, wears at the rope/eyelet area. I leave the canvas on for 6 mos, maybe a bit less. I just give it a touch up.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is nothing you can do about this. This is why I often don't put cargo covers on my trucks and, if I do, they stay on. I have found that the paint wears better if it has been on the truck a while (i.e., it is not fresh). If you don't want it scuffed, take the cover off.

FrankUSMC

I had a Marine that went to pick up his new bride in his new pick up truck. He put her stuff in the back and cover it with one of those blue tarps you buy at wally world.
One corner of the tarp came lose and rubbed the side of his truck. He drove over 3 states and did not notice it. It looked like some took sand paper and removed the paint from the side of his bed. Not a good start to a marrage.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that stinks! I really like the look with the cover on, but I hate to see my new paint job get scratched off too. I will have to think about this, maybe there is something that can be done to reduce this wear???

rod

Back in '03 I had a good friend of mine from Pensacola Fl drive his new Chevy 2500HD pickup to Charleston SC to pickup some things from his Dad. He used a cheap tarp and bungee cords to cover the bed while he drove home to Pensacola. Everything stayed dry but when he got home and removed the tarp, he had about 5 or 6 spots where the tarp and bungee had wore thru the paint and down to bare metal and many more where the tarp wore thru the clearcoat. Needless to say his wife (who normally drove the truck) was not happy. Seems like it cost him almost $1k to get the paint repaired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks