• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAT 1160 V8 pics

spicergear

Requested to post up some pics of the 1160 V8 CAT I swapped into my deuce truck. The 1160 is the engine that the 3208's were based on, same block, same heads, different front timing housing and injector pumps. My 1160 is a 225hp naturally aspirated (N/A) engine. The upper water line has changed since these were taken and the radiator was moved back, (1) because I could and (2) to allow me to put the 20,000# Garwood back against the front crossmember and help bury it in the truck. Also, CAT compressor was moved from top of engine to driver's side via custom mount. I also added a pic of what was done to the stock engine adapter plate to work with stock tranny bell to the CAT's bell. PTO drive clears no sweat. Yeah, yeah...that's RTV on the exhaust clamp...I'll get to that sometime-

So this is some of what I've done to my poor truck. :)

Test run- Ran great! Gotta love Ebay!!!

spicergear

Eh...while I'm at it here's two of the front winch drive.
PTO-Spicer Yoke-M715 front drive shaft- 1-1/2" solid shaft w/keys- other yokes w/one large yoke collar welded to smaller yoke. Kinda a bit...but works great.

Originally that exhaust when straight down. I had to do a little bit of surgergy to it to clear the winch drive but it worked out real well. *also note the 1160 has rear sump pan, 3208's are front. You can see in this pic. Have ample Rockwell clearance.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a wonderful application! How does it run temp-wise?

Good to see someone else with 105 trailer use on the smaller trucks, much handier than the old 101's.

ddg

spicergear

HA- Dunno temps yet. Guage flutters. Going to put a mechanical oil and temp gauge in and be done with senders.

Yeah, that trailer pulls great behind my M715. Just flipped receiver over so it steps down and it rides level with 38" XL's on the truck. OR flipped up fits fine with spring over and 42's. Tows nice being a little heavier too.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at the alt, Are you still running 24V? If so do you have any specs on that alternator?

spicergear

ken said:
I was looking at the alt, Are you still running 24V? If so do you have any specs on that alternator?
It's a one wire 24V alternator I picked up after taking the stock unit to a shop to find out why it wasn't charging. It was toast so I bit the bullet and picked up this baby. Not cheap...like near $200, but you can forget about them. I did originally have it mounted on the multifuel with a bracked I made up and keeping it in stock position.

spicergear

Jed, engine is all stock. Starter is fading- use your old one. Take Chevy chrome breather out of turbo intake. :)

JohnnyReb, CAT engine was roughly 200Lbs more than multifuel. That and the big winch have my springs completely flat. Were there arched before??

Trango

PS Don't look at my completely bodged together upper radiator hose assembly! If you stare at it, it's like watching daytime television. You WILL be rendered stupid.

spicergear

Trango- That sucker rocks!!! Does that compressor clear the hood? It's neat to see the two applications of non turbo back against firewall, and turbo away from firewall...and you're front sump ahead of Rockwell.

Jed, that might even get to you soon- :)

Trango

The compressor doesn't fit the hood.... in other words, I'm looking for a formed ram air "bump" I can weld over the hole I cut in the hood over the compressor. :D

And yep, your 3208 app was fitted to the stock tranny, so that dictated your spacing. On mine, I basically shoved the engine as far forward as I could, to make sure that I had enough room for the big ass tranny I stuck in there. So, my spacing was dictated by output yoke on the tranny. Alot of "measuring twice" on my swap! :)

spicergear

I don't even think I measured. I bought the engine on ebay and it was going in. :)

I've got my alternator mounted to the stock compressor base. Relocated mine and was able to reuse stock air lines.

1160 got set in that truck once. I took a couple days to get adapter finished and T/O bearing extended then once they bolted in I made the mounts hung. Engine that heavy is currently REALLY pushing the bounds of my equipment at the farm. WHEWl-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks