• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAT 3208 demil

sermis

They cut the flywheel and part of the bell / block along with the starter to demil. Do you think the cut bell mount would make a differance. With a new flywheel starter would it be ok?

This sure would look good in my deuce.

I missed one a while back. Running motor in a Kenworth truck for $1,500. I could have got the motor and scraped the truck and almost paid for it.

Attachments

spicergear

RE: Re: RE: CAT 3208 demil

Use your judgement on the flywheel housing. It looks like it wouldn't matter and you may only lose one bolt hole. I'd prolly run that piece. At least they didn't cut into stuff then start beating on it with the sledge hammer. If where the starter bolts on isn't chopped up I'd hazzard the guess that you'd be in good shape. Oh, and it would be nice to see how far into the block that rear chunk is cut out-

sermis

RE: Re: RE: CAT 3208 demil

$1,500 truck was a buddy in the construction business. He got a wild hare and sold the truck. I drove the truck for a while with a end dump rock trailer. It would twist the drive shaft if not careful. Max speed was about 60 but it would pull anything hooked to it. Of all the trucks he had I liked it the best. He told me he was going to make a haul truck / winch out of it. Never thought anything about it. Couple days later it was gone.

hot rod deuce

I have a 3208 that runs but needs head gaskets, I would sell it real cheap if any one is interested.

I also have an NA 3208 runner and a 3208 turbo that i wouldnt mind selling.
I have seen tons of these motors get scraped, I mean good runners. I keep them around because we have a few peices of cat equipment and a truck with them in.

hot rod deuce

400 is too much for a poor old 3208 unless you do the work, *MAYBE* in a marine engine but cummins also makes 400 HP 5.9's in marine apps

300 is MAX from cat in a fire fire truck or other special app. aproved by Cat, some vocational apps go to 275. 240 is the biggest truck motor and 250's are vocational truck motors.

Not saying we cant do it just that that is what cat intended these for(i never use things for intended purposes), some people get a little to over confident in these motors but for the size and weight its not the greatest power to weight ratio

Ill try to scan this cat book but...
a 165 N/A ,motor s 470 TQ at 1400 (same as a 190 5.9) and weighs 1340 pounds
a 250 turbo motor is 640 TQ at 1400 (about the same as my 5.9) and weighs 1450 pounds
The 300 HP motor is 743 TQ at 1400 (Too much for your drive shafts and axles)

jasonjc

I seen that one two. They have a lot of eng there all cut the same way. That cat does not look like it has ever been started. What a waste aua X10000

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: CAT 3208 demil

sermis said:
$1,500 truck was a buddy in the construction business. He got a wild hare and sold the truck. I drove the truck for a while with a end dump rock trailer. It would twist the drive shaft if not careful. Max speed was about 60 but it would pull anything hooked to it. Of all the trucks he had I liked it the best. He told me he was going to make a haul truck / winch out of it. Never thought anything about it. Couple days later it was gone.
Are you sure it had a 3208 in it? Every one I've been around was weak compared to similar truck engines. I'm not a big fan myself but I guess they would beat a multi-fuel on power by good bit. They do start better than most in cold weather. I haven't ever been inside one but all the people I've talked to that work on them say they are a "throw away engine" when they wear out. I think it's because they don't have replaceable cyl. liners and it's cheaper to just throw the engine away and buy another than to pay to have the cylinders bored and re-sleaved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks