• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat ET3 cable pinout help

GreyEnvy

My truck is a 2001 M-1078 early A1 (no cut-off switch).

I have a knock-off version of the Cat ET3 code reader. It is unable to communicate with the vehicle ECM. The adapter cable appears to be bad. It consists of a J1939 Deutsch 9-pin connector on one end and an ODB-II style 16-pin connector on the other.

According to the late A1 electrical schematic I have, the J1939 pinout for connector X21 on page 20 is:
A: Ground -
B: 24V +
C: J1939 +
D: J1939 -

This is the standard J1939 pinout confirmed online, but there is also a Caterpillar non-standard J1939 connector that has the power and ground reversed with data on pins F & G. I measure 23V (engine off) on pin B, so it does not appear we are using the Cat version.

Pin C on my J1939 adapter cable does not have a path through to the OBD-II end. I have another J1939 plug I can splice in, but I need to know where pin C comes out on the OBD-II end.

This photo shows the truck X21 connector (top) with the bad ET3 adapter cable (bottom). I've labeled the pins (they're mirrored on the bottom because one plugs into the other):
j1939-1.jpg

This diagram shows where my pins exit the OBD-II connector:
j1939-2.jpg

Would someone compare their cable and, if you have the same OBD-II layout, let me know where pin C goes? I suspect this is not the same as a genuine Cat ET-3, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks