• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change Filters - Doubles Oil Pressure?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed oil and fuel filters on the 5 ton, fuel filters were in terrible shape, especially the secondary ones(hard to reach to change). Oil filters looked pretty good, I let the truck sit for about two weeks to drain the filters. Only had to add a quart or so of oil. Issue is prior to filter change idle oil pressure was about 30-35lbs now after running the engine for about 20 minutes it is steady at 60-65lbs at idle and 85lbs at 2000rpms. Will this settle back to 30lbs. or is this where it should be????
Thanks,
James G.

Attachments

red devils dude

if the 5ton has a LDS motor it could be the filter was so dirty the oil couldn't flow though it now it's clean
and it's flowing correctly pressure goes up.

jwaller

ya. ditto. you could have been bypassing the filter due to it being clogged hence the low pressure. I have about the same as you now on idle oil pressure. mine has 60-65 at all times. although this is definatly not normal. I like it being high but from what I have gathered from reading on here most ppl report much lower oil press at idle. I think somebody has replaced the bypass spring in my pump at one time or another and I am glad they did.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My engine is the LDS 4651A, when I got it back at the first of the year, it had been completely drained of all fluids, so the oil is new and now all the filters are new but the change in oil pressure worries me. 65lbs seems really high for the engine to have at idle! Nothing else has changed except the filters, and I don't see how I could have screwed up the installation? If you install a mechanical oil gage where is the best location to tie into the oil system?
James G.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Change Filters - Doubles Oil Pressure?

rumplecat said:
..... but the change in oil pressure worries me. 65lbs seems really high for the engine to have at idle! ....
The temperature of the oil effects the viscosity and oil pressure. Cold oil will give you a higher pressure.
Mine normally starts out at 40 psi and drops to 20-25 after the engine temp is increased to about 150°F (at idle and with 30W oil).

What grade oil are you using?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rumplecat said:
.... If you install a mechanical oil gage where is the best location to tie into the oil system?
quote]

Same place as where the sending unit is installed. Use a Tee or one or the other.

red devils dude

rumplecat said:
My engine is the LDS 4651A, when I got it back at the first of the year, it had been completely drained of all fluids, so the oil is new and now all the filters are new but the change in oil pressure worries me. 65lbs seems really high for the engine to have at idle! Nothing else has changed except the filters, and I don't see how I could have screwed up the installation? If you install a mechanical oil gage where is the best location to tie into the oil system?
James G.
James the LDT in my deuce has 85lbs of oil at idle so you should be fine.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Change Filters - Doubles Oil Pressure?

Jed has it always run that pressure? What do you run at 2000rpm? Bjorn I am running Rotella T 15W-40 and the engine was at about 120 degrees when it was showing 65lbs. at idle. Now that some of my fears of damaging the engine have been alayed I will let it run up to running temp. and see what the pressure is.
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I fired up the M543A2 today after running about 30 minutes the oil pressure dropped down to about 50 at 170 degrees and would run up to 70lbs around 2000 rpm. I am taking it over to an insurance office for an inspection and photos Friday, about a 6-8 mile trip, we will see how the pressure holds.
Thanks for all the help.
James G.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

James, checking the LDS465-1A specs, it calls for 50-65 psi at normal operating temp and 2,800 rpm.

houdel

James, I doubt you have anything to worry about. The oil pressure in my Deuce is 90 psi when the engine is cold, then drops to 60 psi on the road and 35 psi at idle after the oil reaches operating temperature. Your truck sounds like it is working just the way it should be now. Your earlier lower oil pressure was most likely caused by the severely clogged oil filters.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

At Aberdeen Ziggyo was telling me about how his deuce engine was out of a can that was built for boat usage. His oil pressure is up to 120psi he was saying. It appeared to have the regular oil pump. I figure the oil ports must me smaller diameter to make this happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks