• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changed the PS pump in the M1009

Somemedic

Just thought Id share some thoughts about doing this to any poor sap that decides he REALLY wants to do this as opposed to farming it out. Its not a hard job but...

I bought my PS pump from Advance auto for about $90 with a $15 core. The pump I now have has a lifetime warranty. It was a remanu. with no pulleys. You have to reuse your pulleys so be prepared to buy a puller. If you can get a cucv pump with pulleys already on it. It would be worth it. You will also have to remove a stud and a plug. Mine were painted on, BTW, and lots of fun to remove.

Make sure ur replacing a bad pump. The old one had a slight wobble and the shaft had maybe a 1/16 of play in and out of the pump. Looked like it was leaking anyway and Ive been changing belts about 8mo apart. New pump is much tighter and the truck idles quieter.

Just about everything on the friggin truck is metric (thank you Jimmy Carter) and the pump is too. Just a heads up, if you dont have opened end metric and deep well metric this job is going to take a little longer. Get some snap ons or craftsmans...

The belt allignment is pretty important. I used a washer as a shim for the driver side alt and tried to bottom out the pulleys onto the PS pump shaft. It appears during its military career that some brauny lummox cranked on something he wasnt supposed to and bent the brackets a tad. Belt allignment is much better and Im sure this is part of the reason the low idle is quieter than before. Hopefully this will keep belt changing to a minimum.