• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing the Gama Goat oil and filter.

Gamagoat1

There were many problems with the original oil filter system. It was so hard to get to that the gasket was often let to slip out of position, then to stop the leak it was tightened to tight, distorting the canister. Then off to supply for a new one. This new spin-on solves the problem. Just remember to oil the gasket before tightening.

Militoy

I oddly have after market battery boxes and love them sine I seem to stand on them all the time...I just collect the origanils and set them aside...just like if I go to the Spin on adapter...When and if I sell the goat all the originals are tucked in a box...

joe
I didn't notice anything unusual about your battery box from your photo. Are the aftermarket ones something you bought, or something you fabricated? It would be kind of nice to not have to worry about stepping on them.

Militoy

Here is what I've done to make changing oil a breeze.

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

Just connect a hose that reaches your bucket and open the valve.
I beleive mine is a T104N But check the size you need first then order. They are available from Fumoto or amazon. Fumoto is the manufacture and you can choose the size you need there. Be sure to get the nipple style.
I also have a remote drain adapter - but not sure of the brand, since it was installed by the PO. He manufactures and sells an automatic oil change system for large trucks that snaps onto the adapter and pumps out the used oil, then pumps in a metered volume of fresh oil after the filter has been changed. The adapter fitting is on the end of a short flex oil line. Just long enough to stick out through the round bilge plug when draining oil. The hose just rests in the bottom of the bilge during normal operation.

Joe Gamma

I didn't notice anything unusual about your battery box from your photo. Are the aftermarket ones something you bought, or something you fabricated? It would be kind of nice to not have to worry about stepping on them.
My goat came with metal battery boxes. They were extensivly covered with some rubber type spray and then primmered yellow and painted like the rest of the goat (shudder) red.

Here is my quandry..the old vietnam ere motor pool guy who restored my goat found them originally green under the rubber and thought they were a weather unit mod...However gamma goat 1 who knows much about the goat says no way..After military mod...

I stopped caring and if I ever sell my goat will have two original fuel tanks with resin or plastic covers in case they want to replace them...

Any one know the screw that fastens the brush guard over the head light?

Goat!!!!

Militoy

...Any one know the screw that fastens the brush guard over the head light?

Goat!!!!
I'm sure I can measure one tomorrow. I actually have a complete extra tractor body (with the lamp guards) that was given to me by Werner Meisterburg, in order to save it from the scrappers when his county came down on him for "too much junk in the yard". This was of course on his own property way out in the middle of the desert - where no one except the county busybodies gave a **** what he had in his yard! He gifted me an aluminum alloy body weighing in at over a thousand pounds - just because it would have broken his heart to see it melted down for scrap. Now THAT'S a serious Gama Goater!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone have any part numbers for the spin on filter adapter and the exact number for the drain valve?

Militoy

...Any one know the screw that fastens the brush guard over the head light?

Goat!!!!
Forgot about this question until I was out filling tires and topping off fluids today. Both my 70 USMC Goat and my 71 Army tractor have 1/4-28 UNF x 7/8 steel hex cap screws ("bolts") holding the guards on. The cap screw heads are standard - 7/16 across the flats. I did notice that the USMC tractor has grade 5 screws while the Army one has grade 8 ones. I can't imagine why grade 8 hardware would be needed - I'm guessing the spec calls for grade 5 or better.

Terra1936

Don't get me wrong...I have done a ton of work on my goat and love it. I kinda feel I am earning my stripes as a gama goat owner. If I get over my head I'll have a pro look at it but assure you I will never sell my Goat. I broke open the books and tommorrow plan to lube every point and rumble around town...

It was a real sence of accomplishment changing the oil on her and it will be far easier next time..

You actually had a big influence on how I painted mine..

Joe
It;s been ten years. Still have a goat in your stable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks