• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging 6utl batteries

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
back in june when my clutch went bad i parked my truck becuase i needed to save a few bucks for parts. i must have been messing with somthin in there one day and i left the power switch on and it drained my batteries completley even though my in tank pump is not operational. i have had the batteries disconnteced and charging seperatley for the last 2 days with a 12 volt snap on charger. its a regular charger, not a trickle charger. i have been switching back and forth about every 3 hours or so. the batteries are coming up a to the point where it almost wants to crank over. one is getting real hot though,the acid is boiling inside, but it wasnt so hot that you couldnt keep your hand on it. last night i was able to get the truck running with a jump and let it run for about 3 hours just over idle. the one batterie was still boiling , the other was just warm. all have proper acid levels, and they are new as of may of this year
am i doing somthing wrong?? or does it just take a long time to bring this type of batterie back up to spec?

jwaller

Re: RE: charging 6utl batteries

MUDLORD said:
so would using a trickle charger for a week would prolly be better than trying to speed charge them

absolutely. I have a trickle charger for every vehicle. if I dont drive it for more than 3 days it goes on the charger.

jasonjc

RE: Re: RE: charging 6utl batteries

My shop van did the same thing when I got it. Both batts wear dead. I charged them both apart and to gether 12 -24 volt chagers either way 10 amp or less. And they both boiled and same thing when the truck was running. after some time they have stop the boiling and seem to have a good charge. I guses my piont is it may just take some time to get them full.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: charging 6utl batteries

Guess these batteries don't qualify as "deep discharge" cycle batteries, they like to stay topped off at all times.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: RE: charging 6utl batteries

jasonjc said:
My shop van did the same thing when I got it. Both batts wear dead. I charged them both apart and to gether 12 -24 volt chagers either way 10 amp or less. And they both boiled and same thing when the truck was running. after some time they have stop the boiling and seem to have a good charge. I guses my piont is it may just take some time to get them full.
thats good to know it happened in a similar manner to someone else. i was beginning to think maybe there was somthing wrong withthe batteries.

pa.rich

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: charging 6utl batteries

Both of my trucks will go dead in a week if I dont disconnect the cable. Why is this? I had a car sit for six months and it cranked over like no problem, so what drains these down when the ignition switch is off?

jatonka

I install master disconnect switches in all of my trucks. The Cole-Hersee 1000amp switch costs $58 at Napa and is well worth it. I have them for $48. I sell them at the East Coast shows all season. Break the negative and mount in the floor under the pass seat. Keyed so you have a theft deterrent too. John T

emr

The optimum battery charge rate is 1.5 amps, a slow charge lasts longer and is better for the bats, I have called a few battery manufacturers over the years and they all say the same thing, the most important thing to the life of any battery is keeping it fully charged, both temps cold and hot are a faster drain to any battery, a low charged bat that sits speeds sulphation, the build up on the plates that eventually ruins them, Northen tool catalog has awesome little desulphating bat chargers that only put out 1 . 3 amps, that is good, some may have heard of them warping plates, well that is why there are no larger ones, but the 1.3 ampers are just awesome, They can do multiple bats at a time, so U can just change from series to paralell for the charge time and one of these little guys will do both deuce bats OR 4 in the 5 tonners, in the truck, BUT remember it takes a bit of sense , they are NOT 24 volt chargers, as for the drain, in a truck that sits a short time its common for a Altinater to do this, it needs repair, BUT it could be another short, but in these mil, trucks its usually the alt, a master switch will put a bandaid in the problem , but the day U forget to shut it off you may be stuck, but for the short time im doing it on one of my deuces right now, ill pull the alt in the spring,BUT the bat shut off is the best thing to haveing a key out there. Randy

emr

I have had great luck with these mil bats lasting up to six years, when they get older they will still crank but lose the hoding power of a long crank, that means they are getting tired, either old or not treated with the maintanence they need, Randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good info Randy.
I had a Chargetek 500 hooked up at all times on the deuce for years and it kept the batteries in top condition. It's made for a dual battery system and it was permanently installed in the truck and plugged in when parked.
I lightning strike took it out and I have yet to replace it.
Those batteries are now seven years old (purchased Oct 30, 2000) and cranked the deuce the other day just fine.

emr

thats SWEET! Ive heard guys say they dont like em, im all for em, with over 20 bats in mt fleet of stuff, i take bats serious, its another big expense , not taken seriouly gets alot more expensive fast. Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks