• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging indicator (battery or charging problem?)

dirtyfingernails

My charging gauge is still in the green, but on the lower side (not near the tick mark anymore). Does this mean I have a battery problem or a charging problem? What TM doe I use to troublshoot this problem? Thanks.
Steve

jwaller

you need to check the voltage with a meter. place a load on it and see if it continues down or holds what its got. if it cannot maintain voltage under load your alt my be dieing.

They do have voltage adjustment screws but it may not do you any good if it's dieing.

nattieleather

Yep what he said....the -20. The gauge on the dash shows the condition of the batteries. So if your not in the green or on the green yellow border then you may have a battery problem or you may have a altinator problem....I know some help....:)

dirtyfingernails

I checked out the system as indicated in the PS from Bjorn. This is what I got:
Voltage w/o load: 25.2
Voltage under load (cranking fuel off): 20.7
Voltage running: 28.0
My gauge stayed in about the same position (Mid to low end of green).
Cranks fine. I guess my gauge could be off?
Any thoughts? Thanks
Steve

downeast

Steve,
Did you ever find out anything more about the gauge? I have a similar situation. After checking voltages with a digital meter, my voltage while running is 27.5 but the gauge reads at the very high end of the green indicator. Clearly beyond the tic mark almost into the red. I'd really like to adjust the gauge (or replace it if that's what I need to do).

Phil

bottleworks

dirtyfingernails said:
This is what I got:
Voltage under load (cranking fuel off): 20.7
You need to be checking voltage output of the alternator with the engine running under load. A carbon pile load tester is the only correct way to pull enough load. Turn on all loads and check DC voltage and A/C voltage.

My battery gauge is incorrect. Those gauges are a joke and should not be trusted.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found the bat/gen gauge to be very accurate, the problem is in the wiring. On the deuce, the gauge return "wire" is the instrument panel 1/4 turn fasteners, which may or may not provide a good connection to ground. Needless to say, I added an actual wire from the dash to the instrument panel.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks