• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging issue/ mechanic needed around bunnel fl

MAXMAD

I have a completely refurbished 1980's 5 ton m934 that i drove from nj to fl before it broke down with an overcharging issue that blew the fuel cutoff switch apart,the trans temp gauge caught fire and truck had to b towed. Truck has been sitting since june. Switch has been changed but batteries r now cooked. Seems like a diode with 1 of solenoids is burnt in power box. We got the truck to run but my friend is not familiar with these trucks and need a mechanic asap. I want to get truck back to az before the revolution begins!!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Download the p2p program in the TM section. It has the wiring diagrams. Its not rocket science i promise its just a language noone speaks anymore. It is a simple system.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

MAXMAD

I got the manual and sent friend of mine everything related. It appears its the alternator but as simple as u may think it is,51 yrs on this planet,pouring milk into a glass can b a 47 day project in my life. My friend is a very good mechanic who knows what hes doing hes just never worked on a miltary vehicle before. Do we just change alternator and batteries? Do i have to change powerbox with 2 solenoids because 1 diode is burnt? What about trans temp gauge that actually blew up etc? Any other being on this planet can change the alternator and b done, i am fully expecting it to b much much more

MtnSnow

Replace the Alternator, Replace/repair the damaged PCB along with any gauges & related wiring that was damaged and go back to enjoying the truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your batteries are bad, a new alternator may go to full output and repeat your problem.

You could have a simple loose battery wire or a bad battery.

MAXMAD

I had replaced the batteries with 4 brand new batteries and all was fine for months until i took the truck to fl from nj. It began overcharging about 100 miles into trip and made it about 40 miles into fl when fuel cutoff finally let loose. I hate to spend another 2k on 4 batteries,alternator powerbox and have same problem. U have no idea ive spent over 8k with 5 different shops tryign to repair another truck of mine and never got fixed. My issues on this planet r not normal. Id rather find someone who can diagnose and fix it because i will do whats said here,have same problem and i'll just go my usual route and say all humans r retarded. Sorry u just have no idea the motherf black cloud over my 51 yrs on this planet

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had replaced the batteries with 4 brand new batteries and all was fine for months until i took the truck to fl from nj. It began overcharging about 100 miles into trip and made it about 40 miles into fl when fuel cutoff finally let loose. I hate to spend another 2k on 4 batteries,alternator powerbox and have same problem. U have no idea ive spent over 8k with 5 different shops tryign to repair another truck of mine and never got fixed. My issues on this planet r not normal. Id rather find someone who can diagnose and fix it because i will do whats said here,have same problem and i'll just go my usual route and say all humans r retarded. Sorry u just have no idea the motherf black cloud over my 51 yrs on this planet
'

I charge 1.50 a mile to towbar it to my place and to fix it is $65 an hour. Max of 10hrs regardless of what it is or how long it is over the 10hrs.

Check your voltage on 508? 5? and 568? 5 and 568 should have the same voltage. 5 goes to the diagnostic connector and also to the dash board. Has anyone tried checking the diagnostic connector to make sure its not cruded up and bleeding something over to cause the voltage. You can also try swapping out to an 33Si alternator to see if it cures the problem. and even check your grounds.

I was also told one time and it has been put in my head several times by this person. There is a such thing as bad new parts.

lindsey97

The next time a MV does this(meaning regulator failure, causing overvolt condition) stop on the side of the road and remove your alternator belts. Then proceed to a safe place to repair your truck, and find parts. A truck will run for a very long time on 4 good batteries, with no alternator. If no parts are not available nearby, purchase a gas powered generator, and a 24 volt battery charger. Use this combo in the bed of your truck to get you home safely.

MAXMAD

I appreciate the offer but i cant afford another 1200 tow,650 to fix it plus parts. Id rather just scrap the truck for weight even though its in otherwise perfect condition. I dont have that kind of money

MAXMAD

Without seeing the belt drive system i cant really comment properly not sure if the alternator belts run water pump too. Great idea if they dont and wish i woudl have thought to look i was on a 900 mile trip when it happened.thnx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks