• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging voltage question

Veesandskis

So I just converted from a 60 amp generator to a 70 amp alternator. It’s charging at 27.5 volts and the gauge is a just a little over the middle into the green. Is this okay charging voltage? I had my generator adjusted to almost 28 volts and the gauge would sit right in the middle of the green. Thanks for the input. My generator was making noise and one of the lower ears of the casting had broke so that’s why I switched to an alternator

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Generator or alternator and a volt short. Is this a HumV or what? 70 Amp unit ? Make sure you have or need the shim? Ears are not to be pinched. lol

Middle green and a little more. That's if you can believe the gauge. 28. 8 Volts on the high side and tenths of volts is critical. After setting, run for a few minutes and check or set again till a stable reading is observed (digital meter) Other variables as batteries condition / balance (in the case of 60 Amp systems) cables, temperature, etc.

Used to get mine pinched all the time at school, CAMO

Last edited:

Veesandskis

HMMWV alternators came in 60, 100, 200, and 400 amp ratings. Where did you find a 70 amp unit and who made it?
I originally had a 60 amp generator. Generator started making noise so I bought a 21si 24 volt alternator that is a 70 amp. That’s why I said I converted from a 60 amp generator to a 70 amp alternator. It charges at a steady 27.5 volts no matter the rpm. I just wanted to make sure 27.5 is enough. I had my 60 amp generator set at 28.2 and my volt gauge read in the middle of the green. With the alternator set up at 27.5, my volt gauge reads just a tiny bit into the green. So I just wanted to make sure 27.5 is acceptable

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
So I just converted from a 60 amp generator to a 70 amp alternator. It’s charging at 27.5 volts and the gauge is a just a little over the middle into the green. Is this okay charging voltage? I had my generator adjusted to almost 28 volts and the gauge would sit right in the middle of the green. Thanks for the input. My generator was making noise and one of the lower ears of the casting had broke so that’s why I switched to an alternator
So...The first sentence should have been the clue. Was just a bit short on information like " Delco 21si " in the first go-around.

So us old HumV farts when right down the internet rabbit hole... AGAIN.

ALEX...RIP. HMMWV for $250 bucks "What happens when you flip crap up? ANS... "Burn the TM's"

CAMO

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM calls for the mil-spec regulators to be set at 28V, but 27.5 is still more than 25.4V (roughly two fully charged 12v batteries) so you're charging them and producing excess capacity. Whether that half volt makes a big difference is up to you. If she runs OK and the batteries act fine, I'd say you're OK. Personally I always felt 28v was the MAX, so I always adjust somewhere slightly below. I don't like baking batteries with too much charge.
BDGR