• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charlotte NC Event

Tailwheel

I would like to host an MV event and give re-enactors a place to do their thing in the Charlotte area but I need to gauge interest. I have access to a small airport about 30 minutes outside of downtown Charlotte that's agreed to close operations for a couple days to allow for an MV event in 2023 and onward. I can also get food trucks and spectator management arranged. We currently host an air show and a motorcycle event each year and in 2022 we had 1,000 turn out for the motorcycle event and 40,000 for the airshow at an adjacent location. Many of us at the airport own or maintain MV's in some capacity and we are hoping to get something together by mid-year. We have a planned capacity of around 1,500 people for the first show.

We do not have MV show experience and are looking towards the community for suggestions of what you like, what works, and what doesn't. Please let us know below by posting what you would like to see and what you plan to bring!

There is only one hard rule, no MV's on the runway unless they are approved and will not damage the paved surface. The gravel surface road and grassy areas are fair game.

If there is something you would like to demonstrate or perform at the show we are open to it, so long as you reach out so we can discuss in advance. We had a guy go rogue at the motorcycle show and are still dealing with the fallout but that hasn't deterred us!

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to look at competing events and timeframes. Not sure there is enough time in the year.

1.) Denton in the spring (North Carolina)
2.) Southeast Rally in the fall (Winrock TN)

I would be interesting in tagging along to another event that may be held there such as airshow or motorcycle.

There was a long time ago a grass fly in air show of a guy that had MV's that would have been cool to put the 2 events together.

Tailwheel

You have to look at competing events and timeframes. Not sure there is enough time in the year.

1.) Denton in the spring (North Carolina)
2.) Southeast Rally in the fall (Winrock TN)

I would be interesting in tagging along to another event that may be held there such as airshow or motorcycle.

There was a long time ago a grass fly in air show of a guy that had MV's that would have been cool to put the 2 events together.
Our situation is as follows. We use the local municipal airport for the airshow, its a large event but highly regulated. We do have some MV's and small WW1 encampment setup each year but the local government isn't interested in promoting it and there isn't much we can do about that. We can't host an airshow at our smaller location simply due to regulation and logistics.

The adjacent airport is a privately owned but public use airport and we do not accept federal funding so we don't have the draconian stipulations that come with that. We can basically do whatever we want, and we want some small shows. We are not expecting to compete with larger shows or turn a profit, but simply provide a local get together and get locals out to the airport.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would like to host an MV event and give re-enactors a place to do their thing in the Charlotte area but I need to gauge interest. I have access to a small airport about 30 minutes outside of downtown Charlotte that's agreed to close operations for a couple days to allow for an MV event in 2023 and onward. I can also get food trucks and spectator management arranged. We currently host an air show and a motorcycle event each year and in 2022 we had 1,000 turn out for the motorcycle event and 40,000 for the airshow at an adjacent location. Many of us at the airport own or maintain MV's in some capacity and we are hoping to get something together by mid-year. We have a planned capacity of around 1,500 people for the first show.

We do not have MV show experience and are looking towards the community for suggestions of what you like, what works, and what doesn't. Please let us know below by posting what you would like to see and what you plan to bring!

There is only one hard rule, no MV's on the runway unless they are approved and will not damage the paved surface. The gravel surface road and grassy areas are fair game.

If there is something you would like to demonstrate or perform at the show we are open to it, so long as you reach out so we can discuss in advance. We had a guy go rogue at the motorcycle show and are still dealing with the fallout but that hasn't deterred us!
I would be happy to bring a few MV's to display.
Nothing fancy or especially "competition worthy".

bharr

Can you be a little more specific about the location? a few of my friends have MBs. M38s, M151s, Hummers, Deuces, Mules, Scout cars and the such that may be available depending on dates selected. We will look forward for more info.........Thanks for considering

LanceRobson

Get a Rally thread going boss!!

RJTM998

Depending on the date I would be interested in attending. I could bring my M998 but since it's a 3spd it is a little risky on the interstate.

CGarbee

I'd be interested...
Of course, I am planning on attending the annual event next month at Denton Farm Park and will be hosting the annual Graves Mountain Rally in Virginia Labor Day weekend (Wednesday prior through Tuesday after Labor Day)...so a conflict with either would prevent my attending....

Before someone asks...
The thread for the Graves Mountain MV Trailrides and Rally is located at:

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been 6 weeks since Tailwheel started this thread. Does anyone know him or why he hasn't responded to inquiries? Events are starting to book so some details would be nice.........
I know it's sometimes difficult to get a date that will work, not only for participants, but in many cases also the general public. Scheduling something the same weekend or even within one weekend of another event drags down participation by all that could otherwise attend. And the new event is usually the loser in attendance both in participants and spectators. Car shows, speedway races, gun shows, other sporting events, re-enactments, historical celebrations, and similar activities all are serious factors in selecting both a time and place to hold a new event. That, and sometimes personal activities, like my recent quadruple bypass surgery, throw a monkey wrench in the best laid plans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks