• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

chasing air bubble from 6.2

edpdx

My my M1009 came up with a busted P/s pump bracket. I lost some antifreeze during the R&R. Now I fear there is a bubble sitting under the sender. It's an aftermarket gauge sender placed in the passenger side head bung, you know the one one with the block-off plate that can be used for a real gauge?

I had the passenger front on a ramp and let the engine idle for 25 minutes, no change. The temp gauge still sitting at 130 degrees.

Is there any secret for getting the air out?

rsh4364

I would top off coolant,drive it a little,if it doesn't burp out on its own you will likely have to loosen sending unit to bleed air out.Dont do if its hot.

Drock

Every time I've worked on the cooling system of my M1028 it took 5 to 6 heat cycles to purge all the air out. Also it won't build any pressure till then either.

rsh4364

I thought about using that port to tie a tanks style block heater into,then I read some where else it is prone to air pockets.Got me thinking,what if you moved cold start sending unit to front of motor and tied left and right rear head together with a crossover if it would help to keep heads more equally cool.I also read somewhere at idle heads get pretty much equal flow of coolant,but at speed its more like 75%vs25% favoring drivers head.It would be pretty easy to put a bleeder between the two heads to bleed off any air.

Last edited:

diesel583

Air bubbles cause all kinds of problems and damage from hot spots. Check into vacuum filling it works great. You pull a vacuum on the system and let it suck the coolant in, on air no bubbles

edpdx

I wonder if I drilled a small hole in the block off plate and plumbed it with a small petcock. That way the warming/expanding fluids put pressure on the air pocket and I can open the valve until fluid runs out. HMMMmmm.

rsh4364

I had a 93 Olds that had 2-3 bleed screws to eliminate air pockets,I saved them.It was front wheel drive cutlass supreme.Worked well maybe check the yards to plumb in.

rsh4364

I thought about using that port to tie a tanks style block heater into,then I read some where else it is prone to air pockets.Got me thinking,what if you moved cold start sending unit to front of motor and tied left and right rear head together with a crossover if it would help to keep heads more equally cool.I also read somewhere at idle heads get pretty much equal flow of coolant,but at speed its more like 75%vs25% favoring drivers head.It would be pretty easy to put a bleeder between the two heads to bleed off any air.
When I come up with these hair brained ideas Im actually expecting some input good or bad.I have thick skin,so you can be mean if you want.