• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chassis grease??

wsucougarx

What kind of chassis grease (zerks) is everyone using on their deuces? I was going to use some grease but I don't want to mix something that is not compatible. FYI I don't have the truck yet. I'm in the "NESTING" phase of getting my truck. What specs do you have for the chassis grease? When I pick her up I'm going to go through the entire LO before driving her off. Thanks.

napa wheel bearing and chassis grease on every thing white and blue tube or bucket . if you have a seal leak oil from the rear axle to the wheel bearings it mixes . not good but it dose happen and no problem there is no way to know till you take it apart or the outer seal starts to leak .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For as little as these trucks are driven, the exact type of grease does not matter...as long as it is chassis lubricating grease. What really matters is that it IS greased! I know there are people that buy their trucks, get them home and simply drive them without servicing them at all. Some fellow SteelSoldier that is a scientist can debate me (probably successfully) to show how X type of grease is far superior, but it does not matter. You'd have to put a couple of hundred thousand miles on your truck to be able to tell the difference in grease types.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have over 100# of surplus GAA. I'll not buy a tube of grease until this stuff is all gone. Little difficult to work with but it was cheap and it's paid for.

sprucemt

BKubu said:
For as little as these trucks are driven, the exact type of grease does not matter...as long as it is chassis lubricating grease. What really matters is that it IS greased! I know there are people that buy their trucks, get them home and simply drive them without servicing them at all. Some fellow SteelSoldier that is a scientist can debate me (probably successfully) to show how X type of grease is far superior, but it does not matter. You'd have to put a couple of hundred thousand miles on your truck to be able to tell the difference in grease types.
But remember, the reason these trucks have lasted so long is that the highest quality lubricants such as GAA have been used. All the military lubricants have been specifically designed for the military unit that it is used on.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, Don. You are probably right...at least while it was with the regular military. Once a truck hits the NG, all bets are off. Some units are very strict about the replacement parts/etc. they use...others not so much. I've seen all sorts of filters used on trucks, for example...different types of grease...10w gear oil in an auto tranny that should have had ATF...etc. I'm not saying that some stuff is not better than other stuff...only we will never realize a difference over the life of our trucks. If using some type of lube makes people sleep easier, then I say use it.

wsucougarx

So what I am hearing is either use GAA or Napa NLGI #2 Lithium based grease. I saw that spruce mt surplus has GAA for $11/6.5 #'s or $55/35# pail. He also had some DOT5 military brake fluid for $30/1 gallon but noticed it has been repacked. Should this be avoided b/c it's been opened or what does this repacked by CAGE mean?
"Brake Fluid, Silicone. MIL– PRF- 46176B. BFS. H-547. NSN 9150-01-102-9455. 1 gallon can. Mfg by IRIS Industries 03/03. Repacked by CAGE 3DTY2."

sprucemt

The cage code is my Federal vendors ID number. The US Government entities may purchase/contract items from my business without restriction.

Re-packing is standard procedure. In some cases it is re-packing a damaged container/packaging, large amounts of product re-packed into individual units or in this case bulk product into smaller containers.

My business has a privacy policy and return policy in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks