• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chassis paint prep, Packard crimpers

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A whole bunch of questions! :p

1. I see Saturn has the majority of the gauges I need for my upcoming resto, but where do I get new 0-60 lbs. oil pressure gauges and new tachs? I know new tachs are out there, I have seen them on Deuceswild and Warren Lovell's Deuces.............

2. I find it hard to believe that the crimpers for the Packard connectors are not available somewhere commercially for less money. I just saw a Packard connector go on eBay for $75+..... There has to be something available in the marketplace that will do that 360° round crimp. How about it, electrical guys?

3. I will be repainting the whole truck, underside included (frame, axles, springs, etc.). What would you guys recommend in terms of prep? I am doing this right, so I want the paint to stick.

Thanks in advance

Clinto

acetomatoco

RE: New gauges, Packard crimpers, chassis paint prep

I have a new tach... original surplus for $45 plus Post from 05839 ACE

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: New gauges, Packard crimpers, chassis paint prep

I would have Earl Scheib paint the chassis. If they can make paint stick to tires, I'll bet they can get it to stick to steel. LOL

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one from a ham radio show a few years back, they had a bin full of them crimpers for $5 ea. Next time, I'll buy them all.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I now have a tach (just sent paypal), and Saturn can order the 0-60 oil pressure gauge from Newstar, so I am good to go.

All I need now are some suggestions for chassis paint prep. You guys are slacking on me :p

Armada

Clinto, here's another gauge panel for your collection... :) Sorry for the poor photo quality.
Sanblast the rusty parts of the frame. You'll find that military paint is a LOT harder to remove than automotive paint so just sand the good paint (non rusty areas). That will give the new paint some 'bite'. Treat the bare metal with metal prep (phosphoric acid, follow the instuctions on the container). Prime and paint with quality paint.

Attachments

houdel

A quality "knotted" wire brush cup on a 10,000 rpm angle grinder does a great job of surface prep. Quicker and cleaner than a sandblaster, depending on how much pressure you apply and how long you hold it there, you can just brush off the surface crud and rust or go right down to white metal. A sandblaster can be used for the tight spots where you cannot get the brush into. DO use a good full face shield though.

Do NOT use the el cheapo Harbor Freight cup brushes. They wear out quickly and the wire snaps off easily, after 5 minutes using a HF brush I looked like a porcupine with all the wire pieces sticking out of my clothing (and skin!). Expect to pay in the $30 range for a good high speed cup brush.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks