• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap Brass Fittings from Home Depot and Lowes

renovate7

The discussion about not using cheap bolts in the driveline should also be applied to brass fittings. Both Home Depot and Lowes carry the same line of JUNK brass fittings. I've bought several types of fittings while working on the copper air lines and they're all CR*P. The brass is too soft and the threads are very shallow. While trying to tighten a coupler on a 3/8" line they just kept stripping if you try to tighten them up to where the soapy liquid quites bubbling as you check for leaks. I ended up getting fittings at NAPA and also an old type plumping supply house. VERY noticeaible difference in the quality of fitting. All the better ones tightened up first time with no leaks. I wasted a bunch of time and $ working with and then replacing these JUNK fittings.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
:ditto: Been there done that, I ended up going to an outfit here in Las Cruces called airhydraulics, good quailty fittings.

The stuff at Lowes and HD is all made in India(I think)..... (insert barfing smiley here)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does Home Cheapo have anything worth buying anymore?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it ain't made in USA, I don't buy it. Needless to say, sometimes I have to hunt to find a USA made product, but they are out there, and they are worth it.

As a side note, most of the brass stuff coming from India/Bangladesh are made from scrap brass fittings from ships and naval vessels. India has a massive shipbreaking operation on the east side of India at Alang, and Bangladesh has one at Chittagong, both are able to be viewed from orbit on Google Maps. Just an interesting tidbit, makes you wonder what those brass fittings used to be on....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
I have seen the same thing and it is getting harder and more expensive to find the good stuff. Right now I need to replace a chain that I seem to have lost, finding one local that is not made in China or India has not been easy. They are almost as much as one made in the USA also. I know that if it is Grade 70(transport rated) it should be just as good but, I wont do it, I want a chain and hooks made in the USA. Thank goodness that Peerless in still here! Gonna have to put down some bucks, but it's worth it to me and the company.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Cheap Brass Fittings from Home Depot and Lowes

clinto said:
Does Home Cheapo have anything worth buying anymore?
Can't beat the warranty on the Rigid toos. I love my Rigid drill.

wiggall

RE: Made in USA

Most of Sears electrical tools are made in China now. There tablesaws, drill presses, battery powered tools, and a lot more. I about had a HEART ATTACK THE OTHER DAY, I went into a drug store to buy some boot laces, and I looked on the package and it said MADE IN USA! FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969=1973

FormerNewMVGuy

I bought some 1/2 inch home depot brass flare fittins, when i tightened them up the whole fitting cracked in half! needless to say i was mad, the depot is a 30 minute trip for me and so is the plumbing supply , but you can bet it only be the plumbing supply from now on.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hmmm..I have put hundreds (actually) to use on the deuce and the 8x8 and never had a problem, they come from NAPA, Lowe's, Carquest, local hardware store, Southern States Farm stores, McMasters, ebay and fleamarkets/yardsales.
A few pointers, do use special flare type open end wrenches when possible, inserts for plastic lines and don't overtighten....

jimmcld

Tools

You never know where some of the tools come from. I have a craftsman (Sears) vacuum guage that has a swastika stamped into the brass fitting inside the case.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Made in USA

n1bnc said:
Wouldn't teflon tape help with the air getting around the threads?
You shouldn't use any type of tape or dope on flare or compression fitting. Brass fittings in general shouldn't need any but I will usually put dope on brass pipe threads.

I've used alot of Lowes fittings and never had a problem. I'll buy from our local plumbing supply when I can but it seems I always need something late in the afternoon or on weekends when they aren't open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks