• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap deuce tires, maybe tops too!

rdixiemiller

All
Berg Supply, in Fayetteville NC has quite a selection of used 900x20 and 1100x20 NDT's. $20 to $25 each, 75% or better tread. Call Chip at 910-485-8800. I am making a run up there next week to get some 1100's, I need 7, Lloyd (popop) wants 8. I will be dragging a trailer behind the little Nissan PU, I can probably get 25 or so at a time. I will divide the gas cost by the number of tires, I figure about $90 for gas (450 miles one way). The more tires, the cheaper fuel cost per tire.

If anyone in the Atlanta area wants some, I can bring them back when I come. Chip says quite a few still have the tubes and flaps in them. He also has a pile of 1400r20 militaries for $125 each, and some 1100R20 militaries for $80.

Among other things, Berg Supply ,makes the turret covers (canvas) for the LAV's. He said they have a 1/2 million $ contract to make them for Uncle Sam. He told me they repair canvas tops all the time as well. I asked about making new canvas cab tops for a deuce, he said if I would bring a pattern top, he can make one from that. He guessed around $200 for a new canvas top, OD or Desert tan. Considering I have seen 3 year old used ones bring $175 on E-Bay, that sounds like a bargain. I will get all the particulars when I am up there, we might all have to go in and have a small lot made up.

I told him I would post his contact info on this site.

I have also located a supply of NDT tires in Phenix City Al. $25-30 @, but closer.

PM me if you want some tires when I go, probably Friday next week.

da_sgt

Airborne; You have to walk before you run..... Meaning you need to fill out your Profile and Signature which needs to include your general location...Just take a gander at all the posts and you will see how a signature should look ;-) If you have any questions just pm me or any mod, we are here to help [thumbzup] Thanks and Welcome!

rdixiemiller

That is how I found him. I have spoken with him several times, and am planning a trip in the next week or 2. He has around 180 900x20, 210 1100x20, NDT tires to choose from. He also has 395 85 R 20, 1400 R 20, 1600 R 20, and 1100 R 20 tires.

Look on Ebay under Military (EBay automotive) You will find a seller in Phenix city with 6 1100x20 NDT's for $150, $25 per tire. He does not have a large qty.

Heinkel

I just won some duce tires on e-bay from the guy in N.C. Got a real good deal....
Appreciate the help.....
Mike Hipwell
Dothan Al.
1967 M35 A2
1953 M37
1942 Ford GPW
Airborne

rdixiemiller

The prices are not bad. Shipping is not terrible, compared to gas prices for the drive. When I get ready to make the trip, I will give everyone a heads up. If anyone wants any brought to the Carrollton area, I can do so and store them until they can be picked up. I periodically head down to visit my family in NW Fla. I can go through Dothan just as easily as heading down US 331.

Heinkel

Robert, that would be great if you gave me a heads up if you come through Dothan on your way to Fl. The tires are a great deal and sounds like the canvas may be too!!
Regards,

Mike Hipwell

Dothan, Al

1967 M35 A2 W/W

1953 M37 WOW (being restored)

1942 Ford GPW

rdixiemiller

My Dad is having knee replacement towards the end of next month, so I will be going down then. If you want me to pick up your tires, let Chip know. Pay for the tires, less shipping and I will pick them up. It would be a little while before you got them, but you will save a good bit on shipping. I figure I will have about $4 per tire in fuel, between mine, and a couple of other people. If nothing else, Dothan is not as far away as fayetteville NC., and you could run up this way if you didn't want to wait for me to head down to Fla.

How many did you get? What size?

Pappa-G

I talked to Chip today, he seems like a nice guy. Thay have the contract to getrid of the military tires (they are paid to take them) then they sell them. Call him Chip the Wiley Coyote- Super Genius. Good work if you can find it!! I ordered some 11.00Rx20's today should be here by Thurs., I'll let ya know how they are! :yeah:
~ Pappa-G

rdixiemiller

I made a trip today to pick up some tires. The 900 and 1100 tires are stacked 15' high. I had to show Chip how to grade a military tire, he was looking at tread depth on the edge of the lug instead of the middle. He has a couple of hundred 1100's that are about 25-50% tread. I got 2 good 1100 NDCC's for Lloyd (poppop), 8 1100 street treads for his old mack at the same time.

I went with 900's for mine at the moment, 3 brand new, 4 excellent, for $20 each. I/ll single the 900's until I decide what size and type radial I am going to run.Gas was terrible! $2.29 a gallon! It took $100 worth to make an 850 mile round trip. Oh well, it would cost $100 to freight in 6, and I picked up 17....

If anyone has gotten some tires from him and they are not in as good a shape as you expected, give him a call before you start leaving bad feedback. He is new to the E-Bay scene, and is still learning how to list things. I gave him a crash course in truck tires, he doesn't know much about them. A little dangerous to be selling things that you don't know how to grade.....

He is afraid his guys shipped some that were thin in the middle of the tread. I told him not to use file photos on the tires, post a pic of the set you are selling. Less chance of an error.

On a side note, he had a pile of big radials out for Daniel at USA6X6. $7K worth, now he can't get paid. I told him not to ship until he had cash in hand, considering the experiences Spicergear has had.

rmgill

These are good prices and the guy seems to have a nice big supply. Given he's next door to Ft Bragg, that makes sense. Now to scrape funds together and find 14x20 rims too.

Still, 7 rims and 7 tires will be spendy even at $125 a tire.