• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checking pto gear backlash

pa.rich

I have a 1970 Kaiser/Jeep 5 ton dump. I am going to install the pto soon. The original was gone and is on another truck. This one is a rebuilt from Memphis Equipmt. I have the gasket which is between i/8" and 1/16" thick. I have searched all my manuals and it says nothing about checking the mesh of the gears on the tranny with the installed pto. Possibly my manual is missing a section. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Is it a visual thing? Is it possible the gears can be too close together causing it to bind ? Anyone ?Does the top of the trans have to be removed to check this? I dont see how else. :?:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it by feel. I'm pretty sure we covered this within the last year. Did you do a search? I'll look for the previous post and put a link here in just a bit. If not I can explain it again. Here's one that will help. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....backlash&sid=de2a95942548e9d3f484e93d4c48ac28 I searched for"pto and backlash". Be careful, loose is better than too tight. Put the trans in gear and engage the pto, then just check your backlash by hand by rotating the pto output shaft back and forth. shoot for 10-20 degrees or so.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Checking pto gear backlash

pa.rich said:
Doghead, Thanks! I looked at the link and read all the conversations. I will take the top of the tranny off and check the gear backlash. I sure dont want major problems.Thanks for the quick reply.
You don't have to take the top off the trans to check backlash. Just wiggle the output shaft with the PTO in gear (engine off of course). Just make sure you've got some movement back and forth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks