• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chenged glow plugs in my MEP002a today

aboonski

What a job! I managed to change out both plugs without removing the intake manifold but it took a lot of patience and the right tools to pull it off. Once I freed the plugs I worked them in and out while shooting PB Blaster on the threads. The way I got the left-hand plug out was through the use of a deep well six-point socket with a universal and a 12"extension. Lots of crap in the way but eventually it too came out. Quite an improvement in the way this thing starts now! Also put my new cover on the trailer that I bought several months ago. Getting ready for Hurricane Season here in Florida.

Attachments

DieselBob

Good to hear all went well. GP's have a way of making for a bad day when you least need it. I did a little measuring in the 105 I recently got and low and behold the holes in the floor are the same dimension and layout as the mounting holes on the 003a I have. Also explains the oil stains in the trailer. Now all I need to figure out is how to get the generator loaded in the trailer.

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

The MEP glow plugs are no fun at all - but you found the key; lots of PB-Blaster, and slow, small movements working the plug back and forth like working a tap. Never more than a quarter of a turn without reversing direction to break chips and debris in the threads. The GP is really cuttting threads into the expanded rust of the head as it backs out of the outer part of the mounting hole.

I replaced two defective plugs on my 003A last year; I think it took about two hours for the job. I found it easier to remove stuff that was in my way - like sheet metal and fuel lines to the injectors.