• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civi VS, Mil

kinetichotshot

I am in the process of (re)acquiring a 1983 Chevrolet 1-ton HD 4X4, granny geared 4 spd, 350 motor.... I started a rebuild on this truck a number of years ago, then sold it to my old neighbor, he has since put in a rebuilt motor and some other parts and I am now buying it back from him...
My question is basically, what all is different between the civi and the mil version, other than 24volt elec? I will probably stick with my original plans for the truck, but if there aren't too many differences I might consider doing a "conversion" if you will... I don't think I want to go with an OD paint scheme if it isn't at least a decent replica/conversion/copy of an actual mil veh. Or am I just completely off my rocker...? Wait, I was already off my rocker, so... I don't really need any responses to that last question... LOL
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Attachments

kinetichotshot

Ok... I've been trying to search for this elsewhere in the site, and so far, bumpkiss!
If anyone remembers maybe what the old thread on this might have been called?
or what search terms I should try, and in what forums...?
A little help please... I'm sure that what I am considering doing is completely stupid, but now my curiosity is piqued!!!
Thanks,
Gator
>|--|~

AJMBLAZER

I guess I don't see your question?

A CUCV is simply a K30 with a 24 volt start system, the D-rings and pintles, and some extra lights and the switches for them, and a set of two batteries and alternators with those being non-civilian units.
Everything else is right out of the GM part book in some form or another circa 1983 or so.
For the record only the starting system is 24 volts. The rest is standard 12 volt.

Melvinitis

You can guy the gun racks on eBay, seen them there a few times, but many remove them as they cut up the seat belts, and I can tell you about half of the ones I saw in service, they were removed because NO ONE ever used them, depending on how you put your M-16, or tried to put it in, the front post site on a good bounce could really cathc your head in a bad way...

However, again, you can find them on eBay.

underdog

The CUCV is a text book striped down work truck.
No power windows / air conditioning / plush carpet / cruise control / Etc................
Just open the doors and wash the whole truck :D

kinetichotshot

thanks for all of your replies... I think I am going to keep this truck "Civi" although I most likely will add some of the MIL stuff such as black out lights...
Currently this truck has a 350cid gas burner, although I was tempted a number of years ago to swap that out for a 6.2 and aside from the fact that this is a fresh rebuild, I am still considering this changeover (or maybe to a 6.5) Kinda depends on if I end up needing the 350 in something else... I will post pics of the buildup on this truck as it happens...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I'd just add the CUCV bumper, grill guard and external stuff then mop some green paint on it.

kinetichotshot

Yeah... thought about that, but I like my Schedule 40 Pipe bumpers too much!! They come in very handy when in close proximity to trees, gives a really stout place to wrap chains when having to jerk on something and keeps tailgators at a distance!!! That bumper has seen some really hard knocks and hasn't let me down yet!
"Battleship Grey" is the color that I had (an most likely will still use) planned for it. It was originally blue, not my favorite color... I think I will wait to get an actual "MV" for painting OD instead of being an "imitator." I try to stick to the rule of "if you're gonna do something... do it right!"

Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks