• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian equivalent model/year for M1009?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Is there an equivalent Chevrolet model and year that can be used to look up M1009 filters in the shelf-hanger books at the local auto parts store, when I don't have a list of part numbers or cross-ref numbers handy? Last time I was a Pep Boys, I tried looking up 1986 (the year of my favorite CUCV) Chevy blazers, but didn't see any 6.2 diesel ones listed for that year.

I'm new to the CUCV world and to Chevy trucks in general, so I don't know what year(s) of Chevy Blazers might have had the same engine and use the same filters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Base your investigations off an 84. Even the 86 CUCVs had 84 stuff on them. The whole line is based on the model year 1984.

AJMBLAZER

The 6.2L was in the K5 from 1983 to the end of the K5 in 1991.

Large general parts that never changed are pretty much anything 73-91.

Body wise these are 81-91.

Grille and headlights are 83-84 single headlights.

Most of the electrical, drivetrain, and powertrain components are typical of a '83 or '84 K5 Blazer or Jimmy. Some of the military only stuff doesn't cross over though.

AJMBLAZER

Oh yeah, since the engine is a J-code (non-emissions) and the civilian K5's got C-code (emissions) 6.2L's and no half ton got TH400 transmissions the engine and transfer case are more along the lines of a '83-84 K20 or K30 pickup.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I just looked on NAPA Online and found a diesel blazer. Does this model look right?

1984 >> Chevrolet Truck >> Blazer-K5 1/2 Ton 4WD >> 6.2 L 379 CID V8 Diesel

Also, it has the TH400 transmission, right?

AJMBLAZER

Yep. However like I mentioned before the M1009's differ from the K5's in that the K5's never got the J-code engine or the TH400.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks for the info! I'll write that down and start making a list of cross-ref parts. I guess that the shelf-hanger books won't help me at all with belts because of that wacky dual-voltage electrical system, but I'll bring along the Gates parts numbers from the FAQ and see if the counter guys can cross-ref them to whatever brand(s) they carry. I'd like to build up a nice table of filter and belt cross-refs, and then put it on my web page and/or submit it for the FAQ thread.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Your post on the K5 vs. K20 popped up while I was typing in my post that came up after it, so I hadn't seen it yet. Funny thing is, NAPA Online let me pick the TH400 for the K5 when I did a filter replacement job search.

Do you know how the J-code and C-code engines differed? Would the air, fuel and/or oil filters be different?

AJMBLAZER

Air filters and oil filters should be the same. Fuel filter I'm not sure. I got one from NAPA that is exactly the same but I asked for a '84 K30.

Official difference was the intake manifold and the emissions stuff the C-code engines had. We're starting off with a little over 10% more power than the C-code engines so it works well for us.

dependable

The 6.2 primary fuel filter on the early k-5 blazer, as well as the 82 & 83 c (2wd) and K(4wd) 10 though 30 seires is a round spin off mounted on firewall in the same place as the more modern rectangular filter.

The k-5 usually had a th-700 tranny, as did the diesel c & k 10 I have a 82 6.2 c-20 with a Saginaw 4 spd manual w overdrive. Most of the components on these early civilian diesel are the same as later. The light duty was 135 Hp & 3600 rpm. The fuel injectors were "coarse thread". The glow plugs are different.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks for the info, everybody! I went to Pep Boys this afternoon and wrote down everything from the shelf hanger book, bought some oil and filters, and got a set of belts by crossing the Gates numbers from the FAQ sticky. Then I wrote down a few numbers that I found on belts and hoses in a couple of my CUCVs. Finally, I spent a while on the NAPA web site trying to cross various numbers to NAPA parts.

Here are my notes. This is a work in progress, and it could have errors. I also noticed some disagreements between part numbers in the FAQ vs. things I found in my fresh-from-GL trucks, but these might be cases where two differently-sized belts are both within the available adjustment ranges. Someday I should format this up for the FAQ sticky and/or put a nice table on my web page... but I'm uploading my rough notes here and now in case I forget all about this by tomorrow morning! :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks