• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian trailer behind a M931

M923Joel

Has anyone tried to pull a civilian box or moving (Kentucky) trailer behind a M931 with singles? If so how did it work out? I have a 48' Dorsey moving trailer and was looking at a M931 to pull it with but I am worried about the difference in kingpin height.

Any advice and or pictures would be appreciated.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull a M146 (single axle box trailer) with my 931A1 regularly, height issue is not an issue, however the clearance between the trailer landing gear and rear wheel of the tractor can cause an issue. Also, the mud flaps need to be removed or they will get hung up. Double check the clearance prior to tight turns.

Last edited:

M923Joel

Used to pull two pulling tractors at 12500# each plus 2500# of tools pit vehicle etc. trailer weighs 17750# empty. Longest haul distance 180miles one way with total of 19 pulls this year

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be 6 " or so too tall. Most cans are 9'6" in the front which is perfect for a standard truck with a 48" fifth wheel height. The 931a2 is 48 at the frame rails. Plus the height of the fifth wheel.

Artisan

You will be 6 " or so too tall. Most cans are 9'6" in the front which is perfect for a standard truck with a 48" fifth wheel height. The 931a2 is 48 at the frame rails. Plus the height of the fifth wheel.

I do believe a 20' container HIGH CUBE is 9'-6"
I do believe a 20' container STANDARD is 8'-6"

Do our own research to be sure.

Scrounger

One can pull a civilian trailer with a military trailer, I’ve done it many times. There are several things to keep in mind. The M931A2 with 14:00 X 20s has a fifth wheel height of 59”. Civilian trailers are designed for 47”. So if you are pulling a 13’6” trailer you will be 14’’6” height. I have 12’6” commercial trailers that I pull just for that reason. Another issue is the lights and power cord. That 12volt vs 24volt issue has to be resolved. And has already been posted if you have mud flaps it is best to remove them before pulling a trailer so they don’t hang up on the landing gear.

IMG_9444.jpg

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

If i remember the measurements correctly from when i had my M931, it was 60" high at the Kingpin. You can shave several inches if you replace the oscillating hitch plate with a standard over the road version. It would be about 4-5 inches lower by doing that. Then you can also change the tires from the 14.00 to the 395/85/20 and shave about 3 inches there. This will still leave you 4-5" higher than a civilian setup at the kingpin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks