• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civy 6.2l transplanted or not?

MilitaryRestoration

Will a civy 6.2l go straight into a cucv with the glow plugs changed out and add the extra alternator....is there anything else that needs to be done? I've read that there is no difference between the motors internally but am I missing something?

acetomatoco

When the Canadians released a bunch of the rebuilt 350s from their CUCV style gassers, we bought a bunch of them and put them in dead US Cucvs...they knew how to burn gasloline!! ACE

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the goofy electrical system, the motors are basically the same. Depending on the vehicle you pull the new engine from you may want to change the intake. The light duty motors were equipped with an egr intake while the HD motors did not. Fuel lift pumps may or may not be mechanical(my '92 had an electric pump). I've owned both 6.2 and 6.5 trucks and had no problems out of them(and my 6.5 had the famous electronic injection pump that caused so many people to end up on the side of the road aua )

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and my 6.5 had the famous electronic injection pump that caused so many people to end up on the side of the road )
LOL, Yes this can happen. My pickup has been parked for months because of said pump. I've got a new pump on the bench and should have it done this weekend. BTW, got 120,000 miles on the last pump so I can't much complain.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, Yes this can happen. My pickup has been parked for months because of said pump. I've got a new pump on the bench and should have it done this weekend. BTW, got 120,000 miles on the last pump so I can't much complain.
No complaints here either Kenny - my '96 had 165k on it last year when I sold it. The guy that bought it flew out from Nebraska and drove it back as 1/2 ton diesels are a little harder to find.

One more thing on that intake - you can block off the egr port if your new used engine has a light duty manifold but the HD version like your cucv was originally equipped with will flow better. My 6.2 powered pickup had the light duty version but it was disconnected for testing purposes as it would stick and cause it to smoke like a pulpwood truck.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When the military 6.2L in my 1984 CUCV crapped out, I bought a 1984 K10 pick-up with a 6.2L for swapping purposes. I swapped out the engine in a day with the help of my bro-in-law (Chad missed out on that project ;) ). The civi light-duty engine used a different intake, a different injection pump and a different driver's side exhaust manifold. We left everything else the same and it ran like a raped ape. Easy swap. I paid $900 for the running and driving K10, used the engine in my CUCV and traded the left-overs for a 300 WinMag rifle :)

MilitaryRestoration

The civi light-duty engine used a different intake, a different injection pump and a different driver's side exhaust manifold. We left everything else the same and it ran like a raped ape. Easy swap. I paid $900 for the running and driving K10, used the engine in my CUCV and traded the left-overs for a 300 WinMag rifle Smile
Steel Soldiers.... the engine that is going to be a donor for my cucv is a 1988 1ton gmc running pickup 6.2l with an extra engine for parts for 500.00 I guess i just need to know whether or not the items such as the intake, injection pump, and exhaust manifold or any other items different, can just be taken off my orig cucv motor and put onto the civy engine or not....?

MilitaryRestoration

i bought my cucv knowing that it might have a possible blown head gasket, but i believe it's more than that because it sat with a blown head gasket and water in crankcase for over a year according to orig owner. So i tried turning it over the other day and it will no, leading me to think that the pistons are stuck :-/ Just think it would be cheaper to put a new engine in....correct me if i'm wrong please

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel Soldiers.... the engine that is going to be a donor for my cucv is a 1988 1ton gmc running pickup 6.2l with an extra engine for parts for 500.00 I guess i just need to know whether or not the items such as the intake, injection pump, and exhaust manifold or any other items different, can just be taken off my orig cucv motor and put onto the civy engine or not....?
I'll let Chris comment on the exhaust manifold but given that you are looking at an '88 1 ton it will already have the HD intake on it and the DB2 injection pump might actually be an improved model over the one on your existing engine. I would leave it on that way you don't have to mess with the timing. Also if that existing engine has set full of water on the top end and bottom end it might be an easy fix and it might not - it depends on your comfort level with engine work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks