• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning a Hydraulic Head

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was realy haveing trouble with the HH I would replace with new or rebuilt and I not saying that because I have one extra. Cant fix worn out with just takeing it apart n my .02

Vintage iron

Hey crazywelder72. What is the history of your truck. Was it well maintained, how many miles on the motor, Was the motor turned up at all? Basically, did the last owner beat the piss out of it! was it a mud truck?

I would try rebuilding it if you have the tools or just buy the head and keep yours as a spare.

crazywelder72

the truck has 900 hrs on it. not the previous owner but the one before that put some nasty crap in the tank. i think he was doing a science experiment :cookoo:. i still need to check the cut off rod linkage but thats going to have to wait till Saturday. If that doesn't fix it i will replace the HH and disassemble and evaluate the old one.

mcmullag

atf

what is it doing, problem?
my current truck got from GL and fuel system was all gummed up from non-usage by the air force reserve unit it was in, fuel turned to brown goo. It would either; not start, or if if did would go to full throttle. I did what a diesel mechanice advised me and it worked. Get the fuel tank to only have full, add in a couple gallons of automatic transmission fluid, I used Dexron II, let the intank pump circulate that thru the system for a couple hours. That cleaned it up and runs perfect Changed all three fuel filters too. just putting that out there in case it helps.

crazywelder72

thanks for the idea. is there any chance you could hydrolock the motor from leaving the pump on? i need to check that fuel cut of lever first. maybe before pulling the hh i will give that a shot.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No expert but you would think a cleaner for injection systems would be better than ATF. For Cummins they have the cleaner you put in a buckett and run till its gone and it would be full strenght. I myself do not believe any tac or speedo. Not trying to talk anyone from takeing something apart that is what we do as men and some woman.lol

vtdeucedriver

ATF is what I use, was told that years ago when changing the fuel filters, fill a cannister full of ATF and this will help lube and clean the internals of the pump, Been working for me. These are "old school" engines and "old school" methods seem to work.

crazywelder72

well i checked the fuel cut off rod today and i have a few questions. i took this video today and i have it in another thread but please take a look at it.
M35A2 Injection pump - YouTube

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/faaqDjAzEmc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again yes ATF will clean real well but don't think the canister of ATF would last long. By useing a remote tank I think it you might have better results.