• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cleaning up deuce

spiker84

ok well i picked up a new deuce the other day for $2400 (sold the other one), i would go into detail if i wasnt such a lazy typer nowadays, but its got things like a c turbo and all that... anyways, when i first saw it, i said to myself "this thing looks like a goose sh!t with a steering wheel, cargo bed, multifuel turbo whistler engine, and wheels" but it ran great, so i bought it. why i thought that to myself is that the camo is BAD. and i mean BAD. its supposed to be woodland ( i think) but instead it is a light olive green with a brown sploch about 7 in in diamiter around the headlight area, and a 13 in. long tan stripe down the door that is about .7 in wide all the way. on the bottom of the door, there is a black stripe kinda like the tan one, but wider. oh yeah, did i mention this is all on the left side? yeah, well the right side is basically blank green like the rest of the truck. also, it has some minor rust, as well as a few minor dents. any idea how i can fix these things? i would preferably like it if someone did the painting and stuff, because scary and apocalyptic things happen when someone gives me paint (i hope you didnt take that seriously, usually no one dies when they give me paint) but you get the idea... i think

please dont critisize me for picking up a deuce like this, it was in intentional fixer-uper

tm america

congrats on the new toy..You could always do the easy way and go with a solid color or a three color camo...There is a tm on the correct way to paint the different camo schemes..

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on getting your new Deuce. The most important thing is the mechanical condition. Making the Deuce presentable isn't that difficult. If there is a lot of rust you might want to consider getting the Deuce sand blasted or even better, soda blasted. You can make it like new.

x-ray

I would say you chose wisely - running good versus looks. My first truck was a real ugly duckling with cosmetics, but runs fantastic.

The rust and paint can be fixed fairly easily, In my opinion, the MVs look very good with basic doll up jobs. The government seemingly had GIs sloppily brush on paint on many of these trucks and you can probably do a good job on your own.

Rust - I've found that using 3 things work well.

1. A hand angle grinder with a wire wheel & sanding discs works wonders.
  2. A needle scaler ($20 one from Harbor Freight ) works very good at getting tight spots and eats down to bare metal quickly- requires an air compressor though.
  3. Rustoleum rust converter or Duro brand extend rust converter
Remove rust to the best of your abilities, clean debris and paint on rust converter. Let dry go over the exterior with rustoleum rusty metal primer.

I don't worry about the dents so much - those are the common beauty marks;-) and flat finsih dulls out these spots.

Once everything is covered, you can clean and paint with Gillespie paint from Rapco parts- I found it goes on easy with a inexpensive sprayer. I used the standard flat texture - so its very forgiving with hiding imperfections.

You can always go more into it with better restoration techniques and materials, but for me the above doll-up process works good enough.

Good luck & enjoy.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you do a bunch of small fixes to it it'll turn out a lot better. my truck was not bad when i got it, but you so some small things like fixing the door checks so the door dosnt hit the mirror, lube the latches, fix a dim headlight by cleaning up the grounds, etc, it will make anybody feel better about their truck. Enjoy your truck, sounds like it has real good vitals.:)

paulfarber

Beware of soda blasting. Its not really that beneficial for spot jobs. The soda leaves a film that really messes up paint less its cleaned up completely.

For all the complexity of soda blasting vs a wire wheel (for up to a couple of sq ft) wire wheel it. For anything larger media blast it. The only thing the soda gets you is a somewhat reduced clean up time (you still gotta get that residue off).

197thhhc

There is a lot of work to do it right. I have been involved in a hardcore Resto-Bob for a couple months now. We are just getting ready to paint. We had to sand blast and repair the doors and fenders, hood, fuel tank, batt and storage boxes. I have a thread going called Let the bobbing begin. Find it and watch the videos and check out the pictures. Its a labor of love.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks