• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clicking Problem

motormayhem

When I take my m1009 up a hill or it shifts into 3rd and I give it more than 3/4 throttle I can hear a clicking sound coming from the transmission, transfercase, engine area. It almost sounds like a hand-crank winch being turned at a normal speed. What is this? It only occurs when the motor is being worked hard like hills and at the bottom of a new gear.

motormayhem

Update:
The sounds is defiantly coming from the bell-housing area and only when under a heavy load (can be reproduced by putting it in gear and holding brake and giving 1/2 pedal or more of throttle) was making sound when I bought it and then re-cased the tranny and it stopped. Then I removed that inspection plate to repair damaged teeth in the flywheel and now it is back.

motormayhem

The flex plate was fine when I did the tranny so I assume it is ok now as it was making the noise before that as well. The previous owner had it replace about 5,000 MI ago.

kennyw

I'd say check for bolts that have come loose and backed out of their holes. Primarily the flexplate to torque converter bolts and transmission case to engine block bolts.

If anything got in between the tranny case and engine block when you were bolting it up so it didn't sit square, it is possible the flexplate is flexing causing the noise too. That will eventually lead to the cracked flexplate issue.

motormayhem

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D

It was the inspection cover not being pushed forward all the way when it was put back on so when the motor got a nice load and the flex plate was compensating for crank movement and torque-converter expansion the balancing weight occasionally rubbed on the cover. I removed it and put it back on and no more noise. Sorry for all the excitement but I am so glad I didn't need to pull the tranny (again).

Thanks for the help,
Miles

kennyw

That is good to hear. I just pulled a flexplate off of a spare 6.2L tonight and noticed that they can be put on backwards (counterweight to the rear). That could cause some problems if someone did that.