• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch Adjustment

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,

I've searched a bit and printed out the appropriate pages from the TM 9-2320-361-20 for adjusting the clutch. My clutch seems to grab pretty late when letting it out. I guess this means it's "high". It also is hard to get into gear when cold. Well, it's hard shifting from second to third and third to 4th. Once warm though, it shifts much better. This is the first winter with my trucks. Nothing else with the clutch seems to jump out. Once the pedal is released the entire way, it grabs nice and tight. But haven't tried under heavy load yet.

I'm no mechanic, but am handy and do a lot of work myself. I still have questions though on how to adjust the clutch. I'm still a little confused as to the exact procedure. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to make the resistance further into the travel of the pedal, i think. More where it should be i guess.

Regards and Happy New Year!

Jake

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The basic idea is to have 1.5" to 2" of free travel on the clutch pedal, when depressing, before it encounters the resistance of the throwout bearing trying to push the fingers of the pressure plate in.

What you will need to do is get under the truck, and locate the adjustment rod for the clutch. Remove it and loosen the locknut on the end that faces the front of the vehicle. You can then spin the adjustment in and out. To reduce free play, spin the adjustment out and vice versa (I think I have that right). Put the locknut back on (or retighten it) and reinstall. This is a good time to wiipe a little lube on the clutch linkage. Reinstall, test pedal. PS Magazine here on the site has a great visual aid for freeplay measurement.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....15_M35_PM&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the stiff shifting, have you drained, flushed and refilled your transmision with new oil(GL1)?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what about the 3.25" adjustment?

My truck engages right at the top of the freeplay 1.5-2.0".

I was reading the TM 2320-361-20 pgs 320-322 and see that the arm to the throw out bearing should be 3.25" from the bolt hole CL to the trans. mounting flange.

Mine is about 4.125" and although it seems to grab at the top of the pedal...she works fine. I also was wondering if the clutch should grab more towards the center of the pedal travel.

Do I need to worry about this and if so, why?

thanks,

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

RE: what about the 3.25" adjustment?

Big Mike,
Mine is exactly the same way. I've been told that this is normal. Mine engages great, doesn't slip, and will stall the engine in 5th gear from a stop with the brakes on. Until it starts slipping, I'm not going to tackle it.
Steve

Rattlehead

RE: what about the 3.25" adjustment?

My clutch free play is adjusted correctly, and has always released toward the top of the travel. This question has come up before and I don't think I ever have heard someone say that theirs releases close(r) to the floor. Any other vehicle with mechanical clutch linkage and I would suspect that the clutch is getting worn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks