• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

clutch-disk

dutch-deuce

2 weeks ago we went to a meeting when we arrived the deuce wouldn‘t shift,
the clutch didn‘t work. After some inspections under the truck we found nothing so the problem gets bigger . We removed the small metal plate of the flywheel-housing .There’s a piece of metal falling out that looks like a piece of a spring ( that looks like problems ) With a flash-light we could see the disk and the springs , one is broken so there must be more pieces inthere but we couldn‘t found them. The deuce doesn‘t go anywhere like this. Didn‘t have the right tool to pull the transmission, next option towing ! . Sounds easy but there’s only a gmc cckw that looks big enough but will it work.We test it first. The answer to that is NO ! .It will move the deuce with a top-speed of 15mph and in a corner when the gmc goes left or right the goes straight-ahaed and push the gmc of the road.The deuce is just to heavy for a gmc .So we decide we park the deuce at a field of some members and fix it later that week.
After a few day’s i went back with the right tools and replaced the clutch-disk, found out that all the springs where broken and one piece of it got stuck between the disk and the flywheel ( that’s why he won‘t engage ). I replaced the disk only 6 years ago. Hope the new disk will hold longer.

Attachments

DanMartin

Sounds like it all worked out in the end, so that's a good thing. You also learned a lesson on flat-towing. :)

Gotta love stories like that with pics of grenaded parts. Good thing nothing else was damaged...you got off easy. :) I'm assuming you put in a new throwout and pilot bearing with the disk/pressure plate change. Good time to change the input-shaft seal on the tranny too.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct!, no seal there ... and very often not even a sealed bearing either, talking about recent depot rebuilds...!

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's designed that way. With deep water fording kit, the air that pressurizes the bellhousing also pressurizes the tranny. Thats one of the reasons you need that rubber shift boot in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks