• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch Job Looming

Seth_O

So I believe I have a clutch job in my immediate future for my bobbed deuce. I noticed a week or so ago while stopping at lights that sporadically when I engaged the clutch I could feel light vibrations in the pedal and hear some unhappy grinding sounds. They immediatly went away if I released the clutch (in gear or in neutral) and I chocked that up to a bad T/O bearing.

It progressively got worse, and then on saturday I found I couldn't get the truck into reverse or first without some bad grinding. I could still shift 2-5 (with varying degrees of effort) but my 2 asynchronous gears? Forget it.

Anything else I should be considering when I am getting ready to tear into this? I am getting ready to move in a week, and my deuce plays an integral part in the move plan - so I need to get him back up and running.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are pulling the transmission,you might as well replace the rear main engine oil seal.

You can make a clutch alignment tool with a dowel rod and some tape. Not the best but it does work.

When you are rmoving the tranny put it 1st gear to help the tranny to clear the cab mount.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get a truck transmission jack, it makes the job a lot easier. Be careful - that thing is heavy and it's easy to lose a finger.

fasttruck

Try adjusting it first especially if you have little or no freeplay in the pedal. If you cannot get the clevis pin through the adjusting clevis becase the rod is in the way then there is not enough meat on the clutch for further adjustment. You run the clevis up the rod to compensate for wear in the clutch. When you turn it up enough to block the pin it is time to replace the clutch.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's the truck in your avatar with rag top there is no way I would not do it over head with a chain fall. The higher the point or longer the cable/chain will make it so nice when you go to pushing it back in. Im talking one hand light push. Yes I cheat and have cranes and place the hook 15 ft high.

Seth_O

Great tips guys - tks. I started tear-down last night. I spent ~2hrs and got everything apart up to tranny removal. I am going to steal a trick I read here while searching info on this and run a 4x4 front to back and suspend a chain hoist from it. I plan on running the chain through a steel pipe and then over the 4x4 so I can more easily move it forward/backward.

Warthog - I think I will replace the rear main at the same time. I know for my LC that's by far SOP when doing a clutch job, it seems less common for some reason on the deuce's. Regardless though, I would hate to have to get into all this again in a few months.

Seth_O

Try adjusting it first especially if you have little or no freeplay in the pedal. If you cannot get the clevis pin through the adjusting clevis becase the rod is in the way then there is not enough meat on the clutch for further adjustment. You run the clevis up the rod to compensate for wear in the clutch. When you turn it up enough to block the pin it is time to replace the clutch.
That's a good idea, if it weren't for the fact I can hear my T/O bearing grinding when I push the clutch it, I would definitely try adjusting it first.

Seth_O

when was the last time the throw out bearing was greased? what interval do you grease them? maybe one pump ever 3000 miles?
Not sure, I picked the truck up from GL maybe 1k miles ago. When I look up in the inspection plate on the bellhousing, I can see grease on the splines and in that general area. I think the bearing itself is sealed though? So the grease would really just be for moving the bearing on the tranny shaft?

jwaller

I'd run the 4x4 from side to side not front to back. I don't think it's level front to back and I know the doors are level or at least close enough.

Seth_O

Yesterday I got all the prep work done, everything disconnected/removed except the actual transmission. Then today while I was at work a buddy came by and pulled the transmission for me. He did a 4x4 from the windshield to the back, and hooked a chain hoist up to it. Seems like it went pretty smoothly and well. I got home to find my transmission siting on rollers on the ground :).

The first thing I noticed was that I have ~1/16" of play in the input shaft on the tranny (up/down and side/side). This is my first deuce, but I can't imagine that's either normal or healthy? Then I took a look at the PP and flywheel inside the BH and noticed a TON of disk material (in fine powder form) all over the inside. Apparently someone learned how to drive a stick in my deuce. Nice. After pulling the PP and disk, I noticed a significant amount of wear on the input bushing, and copious amounts of bronze dust in the area. When I actually pulled the bushing I noticed quite a bit of wear on it inside - consistent with the freeplay in the input shaft on the tranny.

I also noticed (not sure if it's related) that many of the holes where the tranny bolts to the adapter plate seem to have coils in them. Maybe someone tried to draw the tranny on with the bolts and stripped them out?

Attached are pic's, looking for opinions as to what would cause it, how serious of an issue I may have, and a good solution path - if ya'll have them. Of course, if that's normal and I shouldn't worry about it; I'd be happy to hear that too ;-)

Attachments

Seth_O

Can you please take some pics while you do the job? Thanks!
Sorry blister - I am halfway into the job and just now busted out the camera. I'll see if I can shoot some pic's if I get home before it gets dark tomorrow.

I have been surprised at how very simple and straightforward the job is. I would recommend removing the passenger seat first, followed by all the tunnel cover components, makes it much easier to get to the divorced shaft.

I popped the pin on the clutch pedal at the bottom of the arm where it comes out of the bell housing, and removed the front d-shaft where it attached to the t-case. Then just unbolted the tranny and lowered it to the ground using a chain hoist from above. Very, very simple.

Seth_O

The first thing I noticed was that I have ~1/16" of play in the input shaft on the tranny (up/down and side/side). This is my first deuce, but I can't imagine that's either normal or healthy? Then I took a look at the PP and flywheel inside the BH and noticed a TON of disk material (in fine powder form) all over the inside. Apparently someone learned how to drive a stick in my deuce. Nice. After pulling the PP and disk, I noticed a significant amount of wear on the input bushing, and copious amounts of bronze dust in the area. When I actually pulled the bushing I noticed quite a bit of wear on it inside - consistent with the freeplay in the input shaft on the tranny.

Any thoughts on this one? I am up against a time deadline and could use some help on what I am looking at. I have read through the TM and my assumption is that my input bearing and/or roller bearings on the input shaft are bad. Not sure if this is related to my 1st/R shifting problem as those gears are on the input shaft.

I will be opening it up this afternoon/tonight to see what the story is. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Should I maybe start a new thread on 'wobbly input shaft'?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks