• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coffee can cold air intake

CUCVinterceptor

so just being bored in an ag mechanics class i was thinking about a cold air intake, i found a steel coffee can is the exact same size as the hole in my manifold, i cut it in half to clear the screws using the original wingnuts (marked w/ whiteout and pushed down to know where to drill) cut a 2.5 inch hole in the side of the coffe can and ran about 1 ft of exhaust pipe out the side. i cut and folded the pipe to the coffee can and secured it with some self tapping metal screws. sealed all gaps and edges w/ rtv silicone and used a cork gasket for the manifold, just to be sure of air seal and good looks i sprayed it with rubber undercoating. its all topped off with a k and n cone air filter. it pops up just behind the drivers side alternator and the alternator fan actually delivers alot of air to the filter.
(it was well cleaned to ensure no debris or metal going in motor)

-so the engine whines, alot, maybe from sucking air
-exhaust sounds different, possibly even more like a diesel than a gasser
-it still lugs in first but flies in 2nd and third, sucking air and whining the whole time
-the enginge does not slow itself down/ degrade RPMS (like downshifting) it just sucks air.
-it seems to run lean now and hard to start ( maybe not enough fuel) or its just being cold and tempramental it does this sometimes.
- i dont keep it on all the time for fear of my dad discovering it on "our truck"
-basically i havent decided if its good/bad or both
-i will post pics when i can (when dads not around)

any info, ideas or comments would be highly appreciated.

CUCVinterceptor

RE: coffee can cold air intake any info/help/?

gotta wait till dad aint lookin, ill try and get em in tommorow evening, btw, my definition of "flies" is nothing compared to what my old k5 w/ a 350 would do, just quicker for this truck. pictures will be up soon though gauranteed, its safely locked awy in my toolbox. i went through 5 coffe cans trying to get it right on the money.

85-m1028

that sounds kind of like something I did, only with black abs and an aftermarket filter
I changed to a single plane intake manifold for a lower profile and used some threaded rod

lenz1079

the original caterpillar tractors of the twelve and sixteen styles and ages were set up so that the outer cover of the breather cover could be replaced with a coffee can. too bad the coffee can is the item that went by the wayside