• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coiled wire and dongle in battery box

viper476

Just acquired a M1085, and I’m wondering what’s inside the battery box. There is a coiled cable with a small calendrical device with a red led on it, also appears to have an inline fuse attached. Any idea what this could be for?

see attached pic for reference.

Attachments

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Just acquired a M1085, and I’m wondering what’s inside the battery box. There is a coiled cable with a small calendrical device with a red led on it, also appears to have an inline fuse attached. Any idea what this could be for?

Battery tester

Ronmar

Yep, for the old style wet cells with removable caps. It basically was an electronic dipstick. If the probe tip touched electrolyte, the light lit up... newer sealed cells and agm’s made it obsolete...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

|That is a nasty lookin battery setup

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We really need to come up with a better back story for the use of that gizmo.

;)
Maybe that gizmo in the battery box would do better if that wire was straightened out.
That curly shape slows down the electrons so much that they fall out and off the wire. :)

A lot like when the Token Ring network was "beaconing" because a wire got (almost) kicked out of the wall.
New lady was sitting with her legs crossed, bouncing that one leg and kicked the plug.
When it was explained - she was told by one of the interns - that the "token fell out of the network.
She got down on her hands and knees looking for the "token"...

(Yes, she was wearing jeans and we eventually told her they were "pulling her leg" too) :cool:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
First post of a poster...................
Take many photos.
Read all the TM,s
Then take all that crap out of there and put it back for inspection.
Follow every ground lead back to its own connection and refurbish all that as if it was just new now.
That 14 hours of work will pay off in the years to come.........................

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before i uninstalled mine it will light up the red dot if you touch a + hot post so basically you touch any of your battery post no matter what kind of battery it will tell you if thats a hot post or not .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks