• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather start

Armada

Does anyone have the wiring diagrams or know the connections for the ether injection hook up? My truck came with everything mounted including a full bottle of ether on the firewall, but the wires are not hooked up. Looks like one might hook up to the coolant sensor? The injection nozzle is connected to the bottle and the intake manifold. The switch is mounted in the dash. I've got two or three wires hanging loose in the engine compartment that look to be related to the cold start system. Thanks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To operate the "dispenser", all you need is an on/off switch. The kit comes with a coolant sensor, which is actually a switch which opens for temps over 20F. A safety feature, so that the system isn't used in warmer weather, I guess.
I have been looking for some kind of wiring diagram also, just for reference if nothing else. Don't have any immediate plans for installing the kit.
Bjorn

Armada

So I'm guessing tee into the wire on the coolant sensor (there is a loose wire hanging next to it in addition to the one that runs from the sensor to the gage) or do I need a separate sensor? Connect one wire from switch to the 'bottle release valve', and 24v feed to the switch?
I'm going by memory at the moment, but I think there is another wire that is part of the cold start system under the hood that is presently not connected to anything. Anyone?

Armada

Ether injection is now operational. The sensor you showed above Bjorn, was in place, but found a break in the wire. None of the other wires were connected. The injector line was nylon and it had been pinched in a number of places. I replaced all of that with copper. Cleaned the nozzle in the manifold. Rerouted wiring, etc. The only problem is that is was above 20 deg so I bypassed the sensor by grounding at the solenoid. Cycled the switch and the solenoid cycled. You could smell the ether. Connected the line and wiring back up. Another job off the list.
It's so simple how it works. 24v to the switch, 24v from switch to 'dispensor' solenoid, 24v out solenoid to coolant sensor, out sensor to ground.

Armada

Bjorn, the cannister is on the firewall. I've seen them mounted to the underside of the hood before too. This is a GL picture of the truck. You can also see the coolant sensor up by the heater hose.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks