• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather starting my deuce.

ida34

I just got done changing the ether cylinder on my deuce and bleeding the system after I ran it out of fuel last week end. Turns out the cylinder was empty. I tried a few times to start it when the temp got below 20 degrees and it started just by cranking and giving some of the go pedal. I wonder how well it will start with a cylinder with ether in it? I also was going to drain my fuel tank since it was nearly empty to clean out any residue in the tank. I put in a 1/2 inch socket wrench and when I tried to remove the plug the thing exploded on me. It was still holding so I will work on replacing the plug when it is warmer out.

jwaller

I tried getting the plug outa mine once and with a 4ft bar it wouldnt move. I was afraid if it did I might rip the bottom of the tank off so I just quit.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Above freezing mine starts right up, below freezing it takes more cranking but if I hit the ether switch it starts instantly, if its zero or below I hit the ether one or two more times while it's running to smooth it out. Best investment I made.

ida34

Re: RE: Cold weather starting my deuce.

cranetruck said:
It takes a 9/16 allen wrench to turn the tank drain plug....
Mine was the same 1/2 inch square opening used on the diffs, trans, and transfer. Someone must have changed yours or mine. The 1/2 inch socket wrench fit tight until it exploded. It would make sense to have it the same as the rest of the truck. If is a cast piece so when it gets warmer I will drill out the middle then knock the rest of it out with a punch. It seems to be brittle and should chip out just fine. Then I will need to get a plug to fill it. I fugured it is probably the same plugs used on the diffs. I will verify and order a new one from somewhere. I will probably get stuck calling Memphis for it unless anyone here has a junk trans, tranfer case, or diffs.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Cold weather starting my deuce.

Hey Chuck
I'm sure my plugs on stuff are the 1/2" square drive too. That being so, sure seems like they are National Pipe Thread. Without looking, I can't guess if its half or three quarters of an inch pipe plug. That is where I would be looking - check a differential plug for comparison. My bet is, they are all the same.

Sounds like that is one of those simple, innocent, jobs, that turns into a BIG job - like you end up having to pull the tank, so you can work on it properly. You sure don't want that thing to be seeping.

By the way - its -40f out. I already know, mine won't start. But I just got an engine coolant heater from Ebay, and as soon as I can make room in the shop, I will get it iinstallled. When its cold for real, you want to put heat on them. It save a lot of wear & tear!

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Cold weather starting my deuce.

Interesting, I made the assumption based on that I have 4 different tanks, 2 deuce and 2 M52A2 fuel tanks, all having the 9/16" allen plug....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks