• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather starting

cbvet

I've been reading the threads about cold weather starting, ether injection, heaters, etc.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my M35A2 starts just fine at 5 below. It rarely turns over 4 times before it starts. I do put anti-gel in the fuel & that probably helps.
I've used the flame heater to help it warm up faster, but it starts without it. A coolant heater would certainly help it warm up though.
I guess my fuel is "turned up" kinda high, as I sure don't get the fuel mileage others claim. Might that help it start so well?
My diesel Case tractor needs a good shot of ether to start when temps drop below 30.
CBVET

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One key ingredient for easy starting in the cold is a set of warm batteries, which equals fast cranking. Get a heating pad for the battery compartment and keep it plugged in.
The flame heater doesn't always work in my experience and you don't want to be dumping fuel into the intake manifold.
Mine starts at 10°F without any aids. It rarily gets below zero here, so I can't say what it does at those temps, but what you stated doesn't surprise me.

SasquatchSanta

I've considered trying to locate an under seat arctic battery box so I could get the batteries (and the warmer pads) inside and out of the wind.

The only reason I haven't launched an all out search for a under seat box is because I'm not sure if I want to stay with the standard batteries once my existing btys bite the dust.

I believe the standard bateries to be 800 CCA.

Does anyone have an opinion on the feasibility of upgrading the existing batteries?

Also, does anyone have an unattached under seat box they would consider parting with?

jeli

I'd go with 4 batteries parallel and series to get 24 volts. Considering you must have been close to -30 last night it's a lot easier to pull four car size batteries than two big ones if you wanted to keep them inside overnight.

BEASTMASTER

here's a tip for you guy's, i picked up a used charger for wheel chairs and it's 24 volt and puts out 5 amps. itkeeps the batt. at 25.5 volts and my m 51 starts right up here south of boston.check you're medical stores cause alot of places trade them in every year or so even if they work fine guess they don't want any wheelchairs to crap out .i only paid $20.00 for mine and my buddie bought 2 of them the price is right>

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i went out , gave the 819 a shot of eather, it started right up, had been sitting since Christmas, the temp here for the last week and still is down to the teens or lite 20s at night, love those 8Ds

houdel

cbvet said:
I guess my fuel is "turned up" kinda high, as I sure don't get the fuel mileage others claim. Might that help it start so well? CBVET
I concur with your thought. When I got my Deuce it was low on power and slow to start. Without the benefit of a pyrometer, I turned the fuel up 1/6 turn (one flat on the adjusting nut). Both power and starting were greatly improved. Then I cranked it up another 1/6 turn, had lots of power and the truck would start faster than I could sneeze.

I finally installed a pyrometer and found that on a long uphill pull my EGT was approaching 1250 degrees. I turned the fuel back 1/6 turn, lost a little power and it takes a little more to get it started, but at least I'm not worried about melting my turbo!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks