• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comm Equipment On Contact Maintenance Truck

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if contact maintenance trucks (M1031's) were ever outfitted with communications equipment. So, if anyone can answer that, and post photos of antenna and radio mounting, if available, i'd appreciate it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I dont know if there is an "offical" TM answer on this, I can tell you from 1st hand experience, all the contact trucks I saw in the Army had radios mounted on them, regardless of MTOE authorizations.....

Sending a contact truck and wrecker out in to the field WITHOUT comms almost guarantees your recovery operation will take 2x longer than it should...

On the 1031's, my guys mounted the radio set in one of the forward compartments and the antenna to the front of the box. The handmike and speaker got bolted to the dash.... When we got the HMMWV contact trucks, all the radio stuff went in the middle in the front where most HMMWV's have them mounted. Antenna goes on the box.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. It appeared that mine may have had radio equipment mounted to the dash, but no other evidence anywhere else. Which side (L or R) of the box were the antennas usually mounted?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Imagine this. Your SGT boss tells you to mount a radio in your contact truck, and he doesnt care hpw. Your a SPC, and want to go home on time that day... You do whats easiest for you, while still accomplishing the mission. Usually, my guys put the radio and antenna on the pass side, with the thinking they set the drivers side up for the "most likely to be used" tools/parts/stuff. The passenger side was kinda for "less likely to be used" stuff, as you need to remember the mission of a contact maintaince truck is to fix/repair/replace forward, possibly under combat condtions with the bad guys not too far away... We're not talking swap out engines kind of stuff far forward on the battlefield. That sort of stuff happens farther back in the TFSA where "bigger" wrenching occurs.

Bottom line, either side is fine, but all of mine were on the pass side front for whatever reason. That being said, the next motorpool over had theirs mounted on the rear pass side. The radio was set on the CO net while on mission, and they rarely needed to change channels.

Just dont throw 5 gallon pails of 80/90 weight on top of the radio set, when the top comes off, it makes a HUGE mess out of the radio set/amp/mount... It took that guy a LONG time to clean that up.