• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial sandblast booth

Heath_h49008

I found a local (SW Michigan) company that rents their 20x50 sandblasting booth for $25/hr media included.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used one of these rigs in the past and might have some advice to share. Anything to be careful of? Anything that will be damaged aside from the obvious rubber and glass issues? Tips and tricks?

If I do it, I'll make a thread on it with a step-by-step, but right now I'm doing my research and I trust you guys more than the guy selling me his service when it comes to possible downsides.

Heath_h49008

I spoke with the owner over the phone, and he has tossed around the rule of thumb of 20 square feet per hour as a reasonable blasting rate to expect.

More info to come after I visit the place and get my walk through on the process and media available.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be aware of the pressure and the media being used. High pressure commercial blast rooms are often used with carborundum (silicon carbide). the combination will erode metal at high rate and will warp body panels. Be sure that the room also has a positive flow air supply to your mask from outside the immediate area. The dust from any silica media is a health hazard. A dead man cut off on the nozzle is necessary as it can cause serious injury if it hits unprotected body parts.

Heath_h49008

All safety equipment provided.

The primary media he uses is called "Black magnum" and looks like coal slag.
He also lists glass beads, walnut shell and corn cob.

I'm trying to thumbnail how many square feet the surface of an M35A2 would be, as well as if the walnut is safe for my '64 Fairlane.

I'm just worried about the grit getting into seals and vents.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black Magnum is coal slag, no silica problems but is aggressive, generally used on bridge beams, industrial tanks and equipment. If you use any of the hard media, you will have a problem with grit in everything. The best thing we have found for paint removal on vehicles like a 64 Fairlane is Armex, a type of baking soda. It will not warp or erode body panels, and it can be washed away

Heath_h49008

So if I do this, the media will cut the CARC well, but I may be looking at repacking all of the bearings and flushing all of the fluids to be certain it's clean? That could get expensive...

I was really hoping a blow off with air and a powerwasher would be enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks