• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commonwealth of Virginia - trip permit question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to bring a Deuce up from Virginia. I have insurance for it. Many states have one form or other of temporary registration or trip permits that allow a motor vehicle to be removed from the state after a sale. I could no find coherent information about Viginia, other than a three day permit (would work in a pinch) for RESIDENTS of the state (which I am not).

Any pointers?

Divemaster920

Banned
I don't think you will have any problem just driving it thru VA. You will probably be on 95 which is really used by MV's. I would and did not waste the $6 for a one way trip.
Insurance....for me and my peace of mind is a MUST.
Just have of your paperwork in order and if you do get stopped, hope they understand.

The VA trip permit allows you to transport a vehicle ending up in VA by a VA resident-it will do you no good if you are not a Virginia resident or the vehicle is not ending up in VA. if I print a VA trip permit in NY and drive a vehicle to my house in VA-the permit is valid through all states that I travel through. You will not legally be able to obtain a trip permit from the state of VA to get your truck home.

I have printed a trip permit to drive from VA to NY, just specifying the end trip location as my hometown. As long as its insured-99% of law enforcement would not care in my opinion-especially with a paid and printed trip permit and valid insurance document. You could easily have a VA resident print one for you-I would use your hometown as the starting location and end location the pickup point...(basically reverse the towns around)

Orionspath

I have even picked up trip permits for two different trucks originating trip in Pa. and driving to Va. On a seperate occassion, picked up permits for moving truck to Delaware and then Back again 4 weeks later (as I was waiting for SF97) without a problem. I do not know the answer for an out of state owner........Insurance and copy of bill of sale along with a smile works most of the time........Posted in rear window as prescibed, never had LE pull me over.....knocking on wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks