• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compare fuel milage

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked out Desert Rat's dual fuel tank project and as you know fuel milage is directly proportional to the weight of the vehicle.
Removing the spare would be an "improvement" and okay if you are running duals. Adding 300 lb of fuel would not improve the mpg's.

My deuce weighs 16,250 empty with me in the driver's seat and about 20 gallons of fuel. The best mpg on the highway empty for my deuce is about 9.5.
With cargo, 20,000 -24,000 lb my best mpg has been about 8.5.

I can see a stripped down (=w/o cargo cover) M35A2 getting 10 mpg if running on 11.00-20 tires.

Looking forward to seeing DR's results!

There are plenty of places along the interstates where you can weigh your vehicle. There may be a small charge for it, but check at the truck stops.

Adding an extra fuel tank looks like an interesting project, but not for everybody. IMHO I would recommend that any deuce driver on the highway stops every 250 miles or so just for an equipment check if for no other reason, shifting of cargo, tire pressures, bearing temps, lights, windsheld wipers etc.
Since I stop at weigh stations this is often a good time do the "equipment check".

My mpg data includes stopping for fuel every 250 miles, driving through weigh stations and warm-up and cool down times (about 30 minutes total).

I measure my fuel with a dip stick in the tank.

My golden rule for driving the deuce is "take your time and plan ahead".

If you post data about mpg's, include vehicle weight and tire sizes.

Regards,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tractor weighs 12,560#. On my trip back from MD when I picked it up my best tank was 11.4 MPG. This was with desplined front hubs and one axle removed and 9.00X20 tires. Speed for this tank was kept to 52. When leaning on the throttle mileage went down to about 9. All these measurements should be taken with a grain of salt though. The tractor tank is very long and skinny which makes refueling to an exact level very difficult. My trip to OH netted me an overall average of 6.9 MPG. That was with desplined hubs in the front but both rear axles in place. I was towing the M35A2 with cargo in the back. Estimated weight of the second truck and cargo was 16,000#

ironhorsethegeneral

:yeah: Our Deuce with the lockout hubs, and all oils, grease and lubricants being synthetic , 1100 x 20 tires singles (50 psi) continnental 1D engine, blow through muffler (no baffles) no troop seats averages about 14 mpg. With canvas and troop seats averages about 10-11 mpg. Our vehicles weighs about 12,700. :yeah:

cten

Local dump yard I would think would weigh it for free just to see it.

If not, throw a bag of trash in the back and pay by the weight to dispose of it.

Or possibly a sand and gravel place for a few thoughts.

Regards,

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How fast are ya'll driving? At 45 MPH i can get 12mpg. With 9.00's Now that i've got the air shift and front lock outs mabye it will go up. The cat scales put me at #13103 with me and 1/2 tank of fuel. But i think D RAT is trying to extend his range for his move south.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ironhorsethegeneral, with your 1100's you should run at a higher pressure. I keep them at 72 psi. After a run check the tire contact area on the tire, it should stand out as a bit darker.
Also check tire pressure increase after running with a load, if the pressure increases (as a result of temp increase) more than about 2 psi, it would be advisable to increase the tire pressure.
As for speed, I floor it on the interstate and depending on terrain, drive at 55-60 for long distances.
In my tank 1/4 inch on the dip stick is one gallon.

Desert Rat

Ken is correct. I'm looking to extend range of the truck. Having 11 years driving intermodal trucks and trailers I'm confident about how the truck performs. My big worry is tires. Some of my trailers have tires that are more than 10 years old. Having said that, I've pulled trailers with 25+ years and severe dry rot without any problems by keeping the driving speed under 55 mph. That seems to be the magical number from all my years and experiences. I'm planning to scale everything out before leaving here and post results when I get to Houston. While in Houston I have several projects to do on the truck before returning here and finishing my degree. Again, before leaving there I will scale out and post results and pics for all to evaluate. I'm setting up 'Storm for the road so keep in mind I'm applying all known and affordable (for me) options with the exception of cooking oil (compensator is bypassed) to find out just how effective we are in improving fuel economy with these trucks. Once we have more cash to use for this purpose then we will try new ideas and see what we get for results. I know this so far:
M 109 empty: #14650
S 280 empty: #unknown
M105 empty: #unknown
Dolly converter: #unknown

These are the pieces of equipment making the move. I'll break things down to axle weight and so on. I'm planning on at least three stops each day for equipment checks and water cool-down for me. I'm hooked up with a small fan and a CB radio with headset. I'm installing an FM CD player after the muffler goes on. Hey, it's boring without any entertainment out on the road! I have 12 years of experience saying so(one year driving OTR and 11 IM)! I know guys, I'm not staying kosher. However, I need my sanity too (well, what's left of it!).

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm suprised you drive that fast. I rarely break 50 mph. I'm planning on a trip this fall to get a dropside bed. I'm going to cut the diesel with 20% used motor oil to help with the cost. I hopeing to average 13Mpg with the lock outs and airshift. I'm going to use the orginal front hubs on the last axle and yank out the drive shaft to make it a tag along. DRAT, My m105 came in at 2850 on the CAT scales. I know you will be loaded on your move but i'd still like to know what milage you get on the road.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, one reason for the speed is the 1100 tires. At 2,600 rpm my top speed is just aout 60 mph.
Below is a picture, actually two, taken within seconds of each other, showing the speed going up a 5% grade on I-77. I was empty at the time and was able to pass a semi [^] .
Compare the rpm to the speed. The speedo adapter for 1100's is installed.

To you, who have seen this picture before, I apologize (I have other pictures, but not in the computer).

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I have several spare lights just for such emergencies. Plus I'm looking to put on 11.00's when the money becomes available for just such results you show in the photo. Pics in about 2&1/2 weeks.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I have several spare lights just for such emergencies. Plus I'm looking to put on 11.00's when the money becomes available for just such results you show in the photo. Pics in about 2&1/2 weeks.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say that's better than average, especially towning a 3,000 lb (?) vehicle and with all drive shafts/hubs in place. You really can't trust the fuel gauge, though. I use a dip stick in the tank and a tape measure when checking fuel milage and 1/4 inch is equal to one gallon.

Desert Rat

I just use the old fashioned gallons purchased to miles traveled and topp off the tanks before and after my long trips. That's how I know how well I'm doing.

Desert Rat

Everyone,

I just topped off all tanks including the five gallon gerry can for a whopping 87 gallons @ $2.16/gal.. Next week is the grand experiment. I'll have stats on weight too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks