• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Complete Suspension lift Questions

HETvet

I have a pretty good lead on a 1986 M1008 to buy. I'm currently looking at real modification for down the road. I would love to run the 37' HMWWV Baja claw tires on true HMWWV wheels, possibly with the run flat incents. What are some popular venders for suspension lifts? I've seen a lot about ORD, and looking at their web site, seems to be quality products at reasonable prices.
I am thinking a 4" suspension lift with a 1" body lift. I've see a member on here who did a 4" lift on his and cleared the tires easy. I would like the body lift for exhaust and turbo modifications later on down the road. What are some key points to address when lifting our trucks? I've been reading about "death wobble" and understand that this issue needs to be addressed.
Are these trucks considered to be 3/4 ton or 1ton? I cant seem to find a solid answer. I have searched the forum for these answers, but it seems to be conflicting information. This truck need to be street-able as its going to be my daily driver.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pretty good lead on a 1986 M1008 to buy. I'm currently looking at real modification for down the road. I would love to run the 37' HMWWV Baja claw tires on true HMWWV wheels, possibly with the run flat incents. What are some popular venders for suspension lifts? I've seen a lot about ORD, and looking at their web site, seems to be quality products at reasonable prices.
I am thinking a 4" suspension lift with a 1" body lift. I've see a member on here who did a 4" lift on his and cleared the tires easy. I would like the body lift for exhaust and turbo modifications later on down the road. What are some key points to address when lifting our trucks? I've been reading about "death wobble" and understand that this issue needs to be addressed.
Are these trucks considered to be 3/4 ton or 1ton? I cant seem to find a solid answer. I have searched the forum for these answers, but it seems to be conflicting information. This truck need to be street-able as its going to be my daily driver.
The answer to this question is right on the cover of the -10 TM (Owners Manual). I would give that a read.

HETvet

So from my extensive reading, there is a possibility of gaining 1 inch from installing all new bushing? I plan to do this with grease-able bushings. Also installing a 3 inch lift with ODRs new custom leaf springs. I wouldn't mind a softer ride. Also adding ODR zero rates to relocate the axles for minimal, if any, fender clearance. Also, the zero rates give me the ability to correct drive line angles that could cause issues with the lift. The final part to the actual lift would be to install a 1 inch body lift with new body bushings. This set up would give me a total of 6 inches of total lift, but I figure 4-5 inches after settling. Am I on the right track here? Are there any critiques that people might have for me?

As for the supporting modification, I think Bilstein 5125 shocks would be a perfect match for not only the truck, but what I intend to use it for. Poly sway bar bushings with ORD sway bar correction and disconnect kit would be nice as it should improve the trucks handling with the lift. ORD cross over and high steer kit, bolt in steering box brace and weld in frame repair kits, PCS ported steering box with hydraulic assist system, and longer stainless steel braided brake lines for increased durability, strength, crisp but light steering, and decreased wear on parts. Is there any thing I'm missing or any critiques that I should or need?

thanks guys for the help and advise.

bo911miller

Ord crossover steering will not work with sway bar disconnect kit. I usually ditch the sway bar all together, in my own opinion there is not much difference in handling without it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Diesel Freak; many of your questions can be answered by reading my rebuild thread. You will indeed need crossover steering with that much lift. I tried to lift my M1028 using a modified steering block and ORD's drop steering arm, but the geometry just will not work. With this setup my turning radius was much reduced, and during articulation (such as driving through a ditch at an angle), there was hardly any turning radius at all. I finally took the stuff off and ordered crossover from ORD. Now my truck turns on a dime, even during articulation. I removed my sway bar and threw it in the dumpster.

Jeepsinker

Bilstein shocks are overpriced junk. They perform great, but will only last a couple of months of on road driving. I learned my lesson over a few tries with them. And if you are one day past your warranty they will not help you. Spend your money on some other brand of shocks.

HETvet

I find this interesting. My D-max truck has had Bilstein shocks on it from 07 through current. We have never had an issue with them, and I have put them through ****

Jeepsinker

I was using the 5150 series shocks. I'm sure the yellow body shocks are ok. But the lift capable shocks have threaded on eyes that don't stay together, and the cylinder seals didn't last at all.

HETvet

Mine were Silver body shocks. The truck has a 6 inch suspension lift on 35 inch tires. It has a great ride, even for a truck that tips the scales close to 10,000 lbs with out me in it. I've hauled fully loaded cattle trailers on the goose hitch and the ride was pretty good. I have easily put on about 50,000 miles with this kind of load on the truck. It's never seen a mud bog, but has been used for 4 day camping trips, hunting and fishing expeditions all over Texas. The shocks did their job, and never quit on me early. average life was about 1 year or so.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Duramax powered truck weighs 10000 lbs?

HETvet

07' Chevy Silverado Duramax/Allison Crew Cab/Long Bed /Front Ranch hand bumper/grill guard/ Rear Ranch Hand bumper/ PPE Deep trans pan with remote mount cooler/ PPE deep oil pan with killer bee TD-EOC kit/ Mag-Hytec high capacity front and rear diff covers/ PPE oil centrifuge/ Engineer837 cooling system mod attached to a Mishimoto aluminum radiator/ killer bee nose stack and seal kit/ Titan super series (60 gal) replacement under body tank/ 60 gallon titan deluxe model in bed auxiliary fuel tank with electric, through the bed, tank to tank transfer pump.

It has a LOT of fluids on board, add in the weight of the solid steel front and rear bumpers, 120 gallons of fuel, 35x12.50x18 tires mounted on motomedal wheels.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does not add up to 3000 extra lbs.

The only thing adding up, is the BS.

HETvet

Right now, I could care-less if your a moderator or not. Have you had MY truck on a CAT certified scale? I'm pretty sure you haven't. With out a load, 9,704 lbs. YOU can take your BS else where. Now, I'm also sure that The weight of my civilian truck has nothing to do with this thread, considering its in a CUCV section, and is about a suspension lift, If you would like to debate this further, we can take it to PM, but please don't derail my thread.

HETvet

120 gallons of D2, 14 qrts of Amsoil full synthetic 15w-40, 23.5 qrts of Amsoil full synthetic Dex. VI, 4.24 qrts of Amsoil full synthetic 75w-90 in the rear differential, 2.25 qrts of 75w-90 Amsoil full synthetic in the front differential, 32 qrts of Evans NPG+ waterless coolant. Add in the front bumper shipping weight was 132lbs and the rear was 80lbs, The goose neck hitch in the bed, E rated 35x12.50x18 Goodyear wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires. Also the weight of the Aux. radiator, oil pan, trans pan, T-case and fuel tank skid plates.

Let me put it like this, I installed the 6 inch suspension lift and it actually only lifted the truck about 4 inches. CTS 6" lift kit; 1 peace sub frame strut bars, front differential drop, steering stabilizer, extreme duty tie rods, sway bar end links, Lift leafs and springs, tubular upper and lower long arm control arms.

That covers the lift and where most of the weight comes from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks