• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor Education

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Gents,

I'm newer to the Deuce World and I've been looking at all the trucks on GL. From what I can tell there are two different types of compressors on the multifuel. One has a flatter top with a squiggle it it. The other one has more air fins on the top and what looks like five bolts bulging out the top.

Is there any difference between the two? Is one better than the other? Did they switch the design at some point (i.e. indicating an older or newer engine)? Are the differences cosmetic or significantly mechanically different?

Thanks--I really appreciate all the wisdom you all have.

Donnie

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One is a single cylinder, the round one. The other is a two cylinder, it looks like a figure 8...kinda. Both are air cooled. I believe they are the same CFM, the round one is a Midland and the twin is a Bendix.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been under the impression the single lung(one cyl) had a higher output than the double cyl. Can anyone confirm/dispell this?

Barrman

I only have 2 cylinder models. One of the trucks Sermis got from Wart Hog has a single on it. The buzzer for the air turns off just a second or two after the oil psi comes up when that truck is started cold. Lots more air in that case than a 2 cylinder.

Oh, there was also a water cooled Westinghouse 2 cylinder used on the Gassers that might have been carried over to diesel engines in rare cases.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How long had it been since the trucks were run Tim? I know my wrecker holds air pressure ALOT longer than the 109. Just something to think about.

emr

There are alot of small things over 40 years of contracts and upgrade programs , they are all good in an M35 for sure, it is one of those vehicles that is just amazing, was and is...as for worring about what to buy, let me throw in just a few, a winch , very nice to have, most will never use or even maintain it but it sure looks cool,a turbo or a whistler turbo,a whistler sounds sweet, a normal driver will never notice the difference in any of the turbos other than sound, my simple advise is find a truck at a good price, they are cheap right now, buy it drive it and U will learn so much you could never learn from just looking ,and it will be a fun thing to experience, they are all good is all im saying, and lets not forget singles or duels, for the tires, something like an air compressor may seem" hey thats different, but U will never notice if there is, they are interchangable and all work, many changes over the years actually have no value of difference other than manufacture type and availabilty that was put in the bid or used when another part ran out, over such a long production period U will se it all, And the deuce's history is rich with such stuff, all the best !!:-D!!get one U will be gald U did, read the deuce posts from the past here and U will have more questions answered that U can think to ask....enjoy...Randu

Last edited:

Barrman

Weeks the first time we fired it up, but didn't pay attention to the air/oil psi build times. We just made sure it had oil psi. The oil psi had the normal lag to build after starting.

When I called you last Friday, I had just left his house. He fired it up so Jennifer could hear the difference between that un muffled truck compared to his other muffler equiped truck. I would guess at least 24 hours since it had run.

EMR is correct. Once you get one, the learning curve is very steep. But, not in a bad way. More of a "cool, look a this kids!" kind of way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks