• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor gaskets for downloading/printing

Gunfreak25

Finally have myself a printer, scanner, fax, copy machine to play with. Gaskets for the GMC air compressor.

Don't have the specs on all the other gaskets but the original black head gasket is made of fiber/rubber material and is .020" thick. You can probably get away with any thickness (within reason) for all the other gaskets.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compressor Gaskets

I printed them, cut them out and installed them today. My compressor still leaks eh! Did I use the wrong color paper in my printer?

You had to know it was coming.

Gunfreak, I can anticipate these will be 1:1 scale 'or darn close to it' and can be cut out, laid on a sheet of 'gasket material', traced and used as an alternative to NOS product.
Brilliant, Thank you.

I'll just guess that if you cut out a few sets, my compressor would blow a gasket.

Gunfreak25

I forgot to include the governor gasket where it mounts ontop of the head. Let me find it and scan it up....

drlogistics

How ironic. I followed your thread about tearing down the compressor and I was going to ask you to send me the gasket stencils. You are awesome. I bought some NOS head gaskets which should be here in a couple days. I think they are coming in a set of 5. Anybody need any? Free.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS gaskets G749 compressor

Let us know what kind of condition the gaskets are in when you get them, and
thank you. Some NOS I've seen has been dry or shrunk so a good source is a
terrific find.

If you're offering up free stuff Dr. Log, I have not seen enough photo's of your 211
on your thread.:)

Thanks again!

drlogistics

Those gaskets came today. They are in great shape. I printed your scanned images and compared my actual gaskets. There is a size discrepancy. The scanned images are smaller. Maybe I need to adjust my printer settings?

Gunfreak25

Unfortunately I know little in the way of scanning and printing. There must be a way to print them to their original size.

drlogistics

I'm sure there is. Even if I have to separate each one as its own file and re-size them in photoshop. I have most of the old gaskets (in pieces) so I should be able to get close. Thanks again for your thread about compressor tear down. Got mine all tore down today. I'm gonna clean all the parts tomorrow and hopefully get some new gaskets made.

drlogistics

No need to re-size. I just had to change the settings in Adobe reader. Your scans are the perfect size. Thanks again. Got all the parts cleaned up over the weekend so now I just need to make new gaskets and put it back together. Any advice for putting it back together? Should I put oil in it? Or just coat the cylinders? What about coolant?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
drlogistics;Any advice for putting it back together? Should I put oil in it? Or just coat the cylinders? What about coolant?[/QUOTE said:
Drlogistics, There is assembly info on TM 9-8025 para 163 pg 229, but not compressor 're-build' information. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] TM 9-8025-1 (Part 2 of 2)[/FONT]

I need to dig into this tonight because I need to know what to add to the 2 fill plugs on top of the compressor. I want to say we put 10w in but let me confirm.

Get some photo's if you can on the re-assembly, please.

Gunfreak25

Negative on the coolant, just plumb it back up to the engine for coolant. The coolant passage in the cylinder head is really small. As for oil, the compressor also gets it's oil from the 302 via a pressurized line. I would not fill the unit with oil, just coat the cylinder walls in a thin film and apply a good amount to the bottom end bearings. As soon as you fire up the engine it should fill up the compressor within a few seconds with both coolant and oil.

Actually the GMC 270 as used in the CCKW's is basically the same engine as the 302's. But you'll ntoice the 302 specifies 1 more qt of oil over the 270. I can only assume this 1qt difference is to make up for whatever the compressor uses.

Use new cotter pins on the castle nuts securing the rod caps. I do not have the torque spec for the bolts so I would torque everything to an even 25-30 ft lbs. Should be just fine!

Attachments

drlogistics

Thanks for the info guys. Luckily the truck came with all of the TMs. So I'll check that out. I went to my local auto parts store last night to get some gasket material but all they had was 1/16 inch thick material. Is that too thick? And I promise I will post pics soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks