• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor question

Gunfreak25

I am almost done rebuilding my m211's compressor, some new gaskets and a paint job are all that's needed now before I put it back together. I already know how I am going to mount this compressor to my engine (455 Olds) but I was talking with a member here today on the phone who had a similar setup in his M211 and he said there is no need to hook up the water/oil lines from the compressor to the 455 block. He said he just filled the sump on his with oil and replaced it as needed every few thousand miles with no issues. Seems to me like this would burn the compressor up as it was designed to be cooled by the engines coolant system and lubed from the engines oil gallery. Any takers?

Mastertech

Hey just posting my .02 worth but if it was me I would take the extra time to plumb the thing proper before you operate it.
and risk all of your hard work. You have a good part now dont ruin it. It wont take that much time to hook up oil lines
and coolant lines proper and not have to worry about it later. you have a nice truck now just keep making it better.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I have heard of many people doing that, I think I'd plumb it up too, for the same reasons listed.

Gunfreak25

Thanks guys, will definitely plumb in then. It's not put together just yet anyway and I would never think of doing the above without getting a few second opinions. After looking around the block it should be real easy to plumb in to with some new fittings.

nattieleather

I have to agree with the masses. Though if I remember the thing has fins like a home compressor so maybe that's why he is able to run it like that, but if you got the lines and the places to hook them up I'd say just do it.

Gunfreak25

It will be pretty easy, the oil return line will be the tricky one. Easiest way will be to just take off the left valve cover and drill/tap it for a fitting. Could probably have it done for a couple bucks at NAPA.

YkDave

Havent taken one of these compressors apart, but if its like most truck compressors, it uses journal bearings, which NEED pressurized lubrication. Of course just filling the case with oil will work, but it is going to drastically shorten the lifespan of the bearings.

Same goes for the coolant lines. Depending on how much air you are using (how hard the compressor is working), it NEEDS the coolant circulation to keep from overheating. these compressors are not designed for air cooling!

BIG_RED

York air conditioning compressors can be found in 60's-80's fords, amc, volvo and are very solid compressors for air. They have a crankcase lubrication system, unlike "pass-though" oiling in modern air conditioning compressors. Google them. They are cool.

There was a v-twin compressor with crankcase oiling in 70's dodges air conditioning systems too. Those weigh like 50 pounds. Cast Iron. Those are serious. And I've heard like 12+ cfm @ 3000 rpm. Look em up. I think it was called the RV-2. Cheap at the scrapyard too. I want one for my shop compressor.

YkDave

Yea, their is alot of information on the net about converting old AC compressors for onboard air (pretty popular in the 4x4 world as a cheap alternative to electric OBA)

The CFM of them is not great (mind you, the old worn out stock compressors on these probably dont move much air), especially at low rpms, but again, its the ~$10 alternative so you cant complain LOL

If you plan on running the truck around town a fair bit, in stop and go type traffic i would look into maybe finding some larger air tanks. With the electric or AC compressor setups, a guy could find himself running out of air when using the brakes a fair bit and especially if you use the air wipers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks