• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confused about JIC now...

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So I know the fittings on the MEP002 are 5/16 JIC. I read a bit, and is it only the male side (the side bolts to the fuel tank) that is a JIC male fitting per se? Is the actual hose just a 5/16 hydraulic/fuel hose or is it a hose with a JIC 5/15 female fitting? I need another 3ft hose (from tank to main fuel pump) and want to order the correct one :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You get a 1/4" or 5/16" hydraulic hose and get the male and female JIC fittings put on it Some places will have 5/16" JIC that will fit into 1/4" hose and some will not. In those cases you'll get a 5/15" hose and 5/16" fittings.

Isaac-1

The fittings on the MEP generators are actually AN fittings (stands for Army/Navy) JIC fittings are a civilian fitting that will mate with AN fittings, but are not exactly the same (JIC is cheaper to machine) AN fittings are designed with radius edges on the so can stand more connection/disconnection cycles and are less likely to cross thread than JIC's.

Ike

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thank you. I had a look, do they sell ready to use hoses with JIC connectors installed? If not, don't I need a machine to put the ends on?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you. I had a look, do they sell ready to use hoses with JIC connectors installed? If not, don't I need a machine to put the ends on?
You need a crimp tool to assemble hoses.

You might be better off having the hoses made at NAPA.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
McMaster will make up hydraulic hoses with 37 degree JIC fittings installed. I don't know about AN fittings, but I didn't look that carefully. Search on "hose", and the custom-assembled hoses are listed along with the bulk hose. :beer:

Isaac-1

I don't know if you have one in your area, but Tractor Supply sells off the shelf hydraulic hoses in standard lengths, some of them have JIC fittings. I have also bought hydraulic hoses at very reasonable prices on ebay.

Ike

coyote62ny

if you want to save your self money . i fixed a fuel line on my 003 first you have to cut the crimped part off and just the crimped part i used a dremal tool just split it down the side and bend and twist till you get it off then remove from the hose go to napa and get rubber fuel line that will withstand diesel fuel . and two hose clamps put the clamps on the line . push in the fittings and tighten the clamps. one new hose and the right fittings to boot. i think the rubber hose i got was 5/16 or 3/8 inch just take a fitting with you. the fuel pumps dont have that much pressure i think 10 to 14 lbs. mine has been on my set for over a year like that no leaks or problems . hope this helps you.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i fixed a fuel line on my 003 first you have to cut the crimped part off and just the crimped part i used a dremal tool just split it down the side and bend and twist till you get it off

There is no need to cut the OEM ends off of the fuel lines. They are a style of fitting that "screws" on. They are removable and reusable.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Lots of good info here. I am going to head to Napa and see about getting one made up in person. It isn't that I have bad hoses, it is that the fellow in the Army that worked on mine replaced the main fuel line (3 ft) with one 10" long, no idea why. I know I am after a 3 ft fuel resistant hose with female 5/16 JIC fittings thanks to you all. At a minimum I can buy the hose and fittings Speddmon mentioned.

Harleyd315

Most of the gensets I have worked on, the fittings on the fuel lines can be removed and reused. The 15 ft fuel lines that come with the gen sets for aux fuel cans are the only one that I have seen with crimped on fittings. The fuel lines from the tank to pump,pump to pump, etc etc can be reused unless you have a line that is crimped. Take the hose and put the collar in a vise, the collar is the part that goes over the hose, next take a spare jic fitting and screw it into the swivel nut, tighten it down with 2 wrenches just like you would double nut a stud to install. Once tight put the wrench on the the swivel nut and unscrew it out of the collar. Next take a pair of pliers hold the hose and remove the collar,it is a left handed thread, turn it to the right to remove. Now you can reuse the fitting on a new hose. The hose I have on my sets is wire braided line, you must find the same wire braided hose to insure a snug fit when reusing the fittings. Also a cut off wheel is about the only way to get a good clean cut, a hacksaw leaves a really rough end. The hose is standard at most heavy truck parts stores. The working pressure for these lines is upwards of 3,000 psi and way overkill for this application. Parker makes a pushlok hose that will handle 300 psi working pressure and the hose and fittings are much easier to work with, and if I'm not mistaken the fuel system pressures never exceed 10 psi. Hope this helps!!!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks