• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connecting rod bearing help

Wallye

Hi from Spain, and first sorry for my English level...
I bought one year ago a m1008 cucv, and I´m restoring it. Now I change timing chain and I want to change connecting rod bearings... I got out first of them and I think is not standard size because the measures I do don't mach with replacement standard size.
There is written in GM4 18007471 3 9 E 31, but I cannot find any information about what oversize is.....
Can you help me with the correct connecting rod bearing?
Thanks, David

Chaski

Hi from Spain, and first sorry for my English level...
I bought one year ago a m1008 cucv, and I´m restoring it. Now I change timing chain and I want to change connecting rod bearings... I got out first of them and I think is not standard size because the measures I do don't mach with replacement standard size.
There is written in GM4 18007471 3 9 E 31, but I cannot find any information about what oversize is.....
Can you help me with the correct connecting rod bearing?
Thanks, David

A google search of "18007471 bearing" showed one other forum where an individual did a budget rebuild and found bearings with that part number inside his engine. That was it- no useful information, it was never stated what size they were.

Your best bet would be to measure the crankshaft journal with a micrometer. I don't know if you have Rock Auto over there but you might be able to buy a cheap standard rod bearing and some plastigauge. You could plastigauge a known standard bearing on your crank and see what you come up with.

cucvrus

If this were my engine I would definitely take the engine block and crankshaft to a competent machine shop and eliminate the guess work. Engine bearings are not something that should be guessed at. What is the reason that you are looking at connecting rod bearings? And what about wrist pins and cam bearings. These all play part in an efficient good running engine. If the connecting rod bearings are questionable what does the rest of the engine bearings look like? I myself never just took the bearings out of a good running engine and decided it was time to change them. I have replaced main bearings and rod bearings on a few Ford 351W engines in Police cars because I was told to do so. It worked on them to help increase oil pressure and eliminate a CEL. That was back in the early 80's. I guess I am questioning why the bearings are being looked at and giving you information on getting the issues fixed right the first time. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this were my engine I would definitely take the engine block and crankshaft to a competent machine shop and eliminate the guess work. Engine bearings are not something that should be guessed at. What is the reason that you are looking at connecting rod bearings? And what about wrist pins and cam bearings. These all play part in an efficient good running engine. If the connecting rod bearings are questionable what does the rest of the engine bearings look like? I myself never just took the bearings out of a good running engine and decided it was time to change them. I have replaced main bearings and rod bearings on a few Ford 351W engines in Police cars because I was told to do so. It worked on them to help increase oil pressure and eliminate a CEL. That was back in the early 80's. I guess I am questioning why the bearings are being looked at and giving you information on getting the issues fixed right the first time. Good Luck. Be Safe.
Yeah, me too.

Wallye

Thanks for yours opinion.... The ente show 94.000 milles and I restoring it... I´m changing the timing set, chain, dumper, water pump.... and repairing and oil leak in the oil pan... when I open oil pan, I change oil pump and revise with pasticgage the connection rod bearing. Thecrankshaft is ok in measures, so there is no problem to replace connection rod bearing with standard size....
Thanks, and sorry for my English level...
David

richingalveston

that is not that many miles for the motor but due to age I can understand changing the oil pump and water pump. The timing set is probably ok but not a real expensive item so If you have the cash to throw at it will not hurt.

I would not worry about the bearings but if it is not big deal for you to change them as long as you get it right, it will not hurt.

The best money would be spent on the top end.
new head gaskets, get a rebuilt IP, heads checked and if needed a valve job.
That is all I would do and the motor will last a long time if not abused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks